Renovating PPOR in SYD - Plan Feedback

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Dsan123, 7th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I think this one is a winner. If you want/need extra room, you've still got the downstairs section to play with.

Dsan123 likes this.
  2. Dsan123

Dsan123 Member

I have switched the dining and the living room so the placement for the TV is much easier. What do you guys think? Is it better or worse?

Screenshot_20200608_151539_pl.planmieszkania.android.jpg

skater and wylie like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That works better. It gives good access to the deck.

I’d remove the cupboard(?) near the front door (backing onto the front living area) and make a simple corner - to allow larger lounge area if you can use storage elsewhere.

Dsan123 likes this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I like it.

Dsan123 likes this.
  5. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Yep I like it!

Dsan123 likes this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

And a third vote here too :)

7. Dsan123

Dsan123 Member

Last variation (suggested by my wife), which is swapping the living room and the kitchen:
    • The kitchen and the living area is swapped from the latest Plan.
    • The door to the ensuite is relocated to near the living room top left corner
    Pros:
    • Lower costs since the kitchen is simply "rotated" from the existing position; All the plumbing work is already nearby
    • Living room is also near the window
    • Kitchen near stairs, so handy for moving shopping from car to kitchen via stairs
    • Kitchen is in the centre of the house, which is great for busy morning. You don't need to "walk all the way" to the top left corner to get to get breakfast.
    Cons:
    • Kitchen might be quite dark so might need to put in some skylight or solar tubes.

Thank you all for your inputs and appreciate all the prompt replies!

Screenshot_20200608_232153_pl.planmieszkania.android.jpg

8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

You've obviously given this a great deal of thought. I like this best of all.

Dsan123 likes this.
  9. wylie

Me too. I think kitchen in that position works well. You can still walk past the kitchen without going through the actual workspace.

And it looks like your ensuite doubles as a powder room? Whilst two way bathrooms are not ideal, in this case, if you have visitors, if you add a door into your bedroom from the ensuite, (can't see one on the plan), you just close your bedroom door and you have an easily accessible powder room that also has an "airlock" so you don't see into the actual toilet from the living area. And anyone using that bathroom, doesn't see into your bedroom if you add a door between ensuite and bedroom.

Dsan123 likes this.
  10. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

In the master suite would it be beneficial to re-arrange the bathroom so the door is at the bedroom end rather than the far end. This provides easier access to the bathroom and allows for the closet to be L shaped providing a bit more storage.

Dsan123 likes this.
  11. Gockie

Good idea :)

12. Dsan123

Dsan123 Member

Good idea! Changed it now, making it much more versatile.

I have also changed the layout of the kitchen to a slightly different format.
    Screenshot_20200609_123806_pl.planmieszkania.android.jpg

13. Dsan123

Dsan123 Member

Thanks. Are referring to the bedroom door? The existing bathroom is quite new so I am not planning to reconfigure it for now. I have changed the bedroom door further from the bathroom and fitted a L shaped storage (see my previous post for details, which is a reflection of what I think you meant).

14. Gockie

Re L shaped storage... forgot you still needed the access from the living room. Sorry! Otherwise it was a good idea.

Dsan123 likes this.
  15. wylie

I'm wondering if the corner you've put into the kitchen which gives more wall storage is worth losing the "plating up" and "prep" space by shortening the island in that plan?

We have a corner cupboard and it is almost useless. Things go there, never to be seen again. For me, I prefer the kitchen plan without the corner cupboard.

Sink could easily go in the longer island bench in the first plan (without the corner) but will take a lot of usable prep area in the later plan.

Dsan123 likes this.
  16. Dsan123

Dsan123 Member

I see what you mean. True, corner cabinets are really used. My initial concern was whether there will be enough storage spaces in the kitchen.

I like your suggestion (below) and is definitely worth considering.

• It works out to be a nice practical kitchen triangle
    • With the longer kitchen island, I can move the sink further downward (in case there needs to be an exposed column due to the loaded wall... I am not familiar the technical details of what can or cannot be done...) And it should still look nice
    • You can hang a piece of nice and sizeable artwork at wall at the bottom to add colour into the room!
    What are your opinions on whether approx 5m of lower cabinet space + 3m of upper cabinet space be enough? This excludes the DW, sink, oven, rangehood and fridge. If not, I was thinking of utilising the existing cabinet (located bt entrance and kitchen) as pantry.

Screenshot_20200609_165403.jpg

Last edited: 9th Jun, 2020
  17. wylie

Is the 7m both back wall and island under bench storage (guessing back wall 4m and island 3m)?

18. Dsan123

Dsan123 Member

I just edited my numbers as I forgot to exclude things like appliances and sink. My revised numbers are:
    • 3m of upper cabinets: 1.5m each side of rangehood
    • 5m of lower cabinets: 1.5m each side of rangehood) + 2m on kitchen island ex DW and sink.
    • Plus Pantry in the existing cabinet
    In comparison to the other design:
    • 5m of upper cabinets (4m along the wall, 1m next to fridge at the bottom)
    • 6 - 7m of lower cabinets (4m along the wall, 1m next to fridge at the bottom, 1.5m on kitchen island ex DW and sink)
    • Plus Pantry in the existing cabinet

19. wylie

I don't think there is a right or wrong. Personally, I'd prefer the longer island bench. You need a decent run of bench without sinks, stoves etc interrupting it (which obviously you already know) and working in a kitchen without a decent amount of "plating up" space would do my head in.

I think you need to measure what you have now, and work out which layout works better for what you already have to store. And compare both plans with how much bench space and storage you have now.

Dsan123 likes this.
  20. Dsan123

Dsan123 Member

Agreed, I think the long kitchen benches on each side would look really nice together. Will probably need to have a think about my personal need etc...

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia