renovating for profit in a flat market (perth)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by adam duckworth, 2nd Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. adam duckworth

adam duckworth Well-Known Member

just a quick one. would it be worth renovating- or would the profits be decent enough to warrant a renovation in a flat market such as perth right now for a quick equity gain? i would be talking an older 3x2 in say padbury for example 400k mark, spending 30k on reno (kitchen, bathroom carpets paint landscaping) i guess what I'm asking is, is it possible to still make money (equity) in a flat market doing a "flip"

thanks PCers :)

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I'm looking into doing it myself, and have been for a while.

I would say the answer is generally "no", with some very obscure exceptions. I'm looking at a potential project now actually, but I look at every single listing in Perth on realestate.com and I would estimate the ones with potential (in my eyes) are around 1 in 20,000.

Perthguy and Phase2 like this.
  3. adam duckworth

adam duckworth Well-Known Member

yeah i was hoping that wouldnt be the general answer, surely a renovation on a run down house, in a semi decent location, would deliver some sort of equity? I'm not looking to sell straight away but instead holding and renting it out at a higher rate, and hope to use the equity from renovation for the next IP... maybe someone on here can speak from experience that has renod in such a market and gained equity? thanks for your input :)

4. Beachman

Beachman Well-Known Member

Possibly but you're 20k down from the get go with entry costs

adam duckworth likes this.