Renovating asbestos riddled weatherboard house

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Brodie66, 4th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brodie66

Brodie66 Member

We recently purchased a house in Holland Park, with asbestos internal walls & ceilings. The kitchen and bathroom need to be renovated desperately - and we're trying to decide if we should completely gut the place & remove all asbestos OR just remove the asbestos from the kitchen and bathroom.

We've been quoted approx $8k to remove all asbestos, and around 20-25k for new walls & ceilings. Plus the cost of the bathroom & kitchen, painting, I assume probably new electrical etc etc

Has anyone done a similar project? I don't want to remove part of the asbestos & then regret leaving some behind down the track. Or is it no big deal to remove the rest later?

Any advice appreciated!

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

There’s no right or wrong. I’d remove it, rip the bandaid off and never have to worry about asbestos in the house again, but do you have the money to do that?

And will it add value if you resell? So many houses in Holland Park have it that it might be like restumping or rewiring - you won’t get more for having done it.

Shazi likes this.
  3. Brodie66

Brodie66 Member

That’s what I was thinking - we’ve got the money to do it but might put us at risk of overcapitalising if we decide to sell in a few years, like you said I don’t think it’ll greatly add value.
    It would be nice to have a completely new interior though. Know any affordable plasterers?
    Edit - saw you recommended Mitch in the other thread, thanks

4. Rugz06

Rugz06 Well-Known Member

Generally there is no need to remove asbestos is homes. Unless you plan on drilling or cutting into it.
    If the asbestos material, probably fibro, needs to be removed, it will be replaced with either plasterboard, villaboard, fc sheet.. generally these look better than fibro and would add a little value but probably not the $30k you suggest.

Might I add, only remove what you need to. No need to do the whole house.

Brodie66 likes this.