Reno’s Where to Start

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by YLN, 31st Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. YLN

YLN Active Member

Hi,

We currently have a 3 bed 1 bathroom with a toilet, shower and bathtub with a laundry that has another shower and toilet.

We currently live with parents and rent out the property until we get married, with the plan to eventually move into this house but in the meantime once the current tenants move out we want to redo the floors and kitchen.

We’re wanting to get some guidance on what actually would increase value in the type of property we have as I’m concerned a couple aspects of the property may reduce the value just being the way they are.

These include:
    Hardwood house cladded in a Masonite product with front half consisting of living and kitchen and bathroom on pillars. (then leads into a slabbed extension with the laundry, hallway and 3 bedrooms).

Flat roof
    No garage but large car port

What we’ve done:
    Removed wall between kitchen and living to open up the floor plan.
    Create a front door opening (prior to this was just a side entrance)
    Painted the house
    Sanded the natural timber floors in kitchen and living.

What we would like to do:
    New kitchen, preferably for the new layout, but also because it’s looking a little dated and not straight forward swap out.

Laminate floors through kitchen, living and hallways. Carpet in the bedrooms.

Paint exterior and modernise the framing around the windows and painting the aluminium a modem colour other than beige.

Modernise the bathroom

Open up wall between master bed and laundry to create an ensuite then bring wall/doorway out to make the laundry it’s own room.

Potentially turn 1 bedroom into 2.

Hedge and fence the front of the house for privacy

Redo the front porch and carport to be slightly more modern.

I will try share photos of what it currently is and what we’d like to do, we have been good at getting great prices as we’ve shopped and shopped, however flooring and kitchens isn’t necessarily the easiest thing to do on the cheap as i feel you end up getting what you pay for.

I guess based on the above jobs, what is most likely to increase our property value? Or would it always be seen to a keen buyer as a knockdown.

Attached Files:

2. YLN

YLN Active Member

These are some of the type of properties we want to take inspiration from.

we also want to try add a pitch to our main roof even just a facade to add more curb appeal.

I guess the only benefits to a flat roof could be it’s potential to have a second storey built.

Attached Files:

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Location first then house condition determines if a house is a KDR proposal (budget 3rd, I once worked demolishing a Toorak/Melb house that had been fully renovated with new kitchen all because the buyer liked the location but not the house)...

Are you trying to improve the value of the house or rentability ?

In the pic's it doesn't loom like it needs much (better to pay down debt and invest rather than throwing money at a perfectly livable and comfortable home....

wylie, Clean Cookie and craigc like this.
  4. YLN

YLN Active Member

Sorry for the delay, mainly to improve the value of the property. I feel in its current state it’s ok to rent (as it already is) but definitely not modern to maximise the sale return.

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

In this case you chose poorly when buying (sorry).

Had you wanted to do capital improvements you should have purchased a more suitable property !

You could spend a bucket load on replacing the skillion roof with a pitched roof, sure it might look better but you won't recover 10% of your expenditure (sadly).

You have a perfectly nice, livable and rentable property, any money you have should be put toward your next investment :cool:

wylie likes this.
  6. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

House looks in great condition. As above only location determines KDR. I'd paint externally, I found I could paint my aluminium framed windows with a metal etch and prime then regular paint. Takes a long time to mask up but worthwhile.

One thing I learnt is chip board that kitchens are made of is vastly different. One sheet looks the same as the other but could be up to 30% less dense. I'd spend a moderate amount to get quality. Gumtree/FB/house recyclers have good quality fixtures often that can be bought for less than cheap Chinese stuff. Picked up a near new Siemens dishwasher for $200 and it's been brilliant! Unless you're a chippy, adding a gabled roof is madness.

wylie and Stoffo like this.
  7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

You are planning to move into this home, as a PPOR? Is that correct? Like others have said, you can't do much about the pitch of the roof, without significant cost, but as for the rest of the renovations are concerned, do you have a floorplan, and a budget?

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It’s already a cute cottage. The kitchen and the floors look fine.

Since you are going to move into it - and not sell it - why are you so worried about adding to its resale value now?

By all means make it more useable and comfortable for yourselves to live in, but changing the roof isn’t going to improve either of these aspects.

As mentioned above, you’ll be surprised by the cost! Get a quote!

wylie likes this.