Reno work under 20k. Can I do it twice in a year?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Joe788, 18th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Joe788

Joe788 New Member

Hi I live in Perth and am planning to renovate my home. I did some research and found that I can do the work myself if the total cost of the project is less than 20k.

I estimate that the total cost will be ~35k
    As a Carpenter I would like to do all of the work myself apart from the plumbing and electrical.

Would it be possible to apply to the council for planning for work totalling 17k and then apply again after 6 months for the second half of the project for 18k.

Any advice on how I can complete this project myself would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Given the number of views - and no answer - I'd suggest that no one on here knows. Ring the council and ask. You don't have to tell them any details

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

If its not structural you dont need to go to council?????

Stoffo and Paul@PAS like this.
  4. Gimm

Gimm Well-Known Member

What?

Since when is this a thing?

5. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Can you please cite a source for this? I've done a number of renos that cost over $20,000, with and without my labour. I do the design, project managment, painting, demolition, labouring, and make the tea.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Indicators of a good project manager - chief, cook and bottle washer.

(Though I'd need you to run down the road to pick up coffee :oops:)

7. rsmallri

rsmallri Well-Known Member

You need to be a registered builder if you are doing more than 20k of work for someone else, it doesn't apply if you are doing your own renovations

Link

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

However....owners may be unable to do construction work without approvals and ...licensing. Depends what you mean by renovate.

Perth : In most cases, a building permit application will be required if the proposal includes the construction, renovation, alteration, or improvement of a building. Especially when the proposed building work may:

• Adversely affect the structural soundness of the building or incidental structure.
    • Adversely affect the safety and health of the occupants or other users of the building.
    • Affect the way in which the building or incidental structure complies with each building standard.
    Schedule 4 of the Building Regulation provides descriptions of building work for which building permits are not required. This typically includes the repair or maintenance of buildings and structures, but it is important to note that in these instances, the building owner has an obligation to ensure the exempted work complies with the applicable building standards.

If a building permit is required there are two different application types, an application for a Building Permit Certified (BA1) and a Building Permit Uncertified (BA2). The application forms can be found on the building commission website, and the type of application will depend on the building’s classification.

gman65 and Stoffo like this.
  9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Varies in different states, but...

In reference to a building permit ?
    The value of the works being under $20k is not viewed as an owner builder using second hand materials, but rather $20k worth of works as done by a contractor/builder!

Basically if it's valued near $20k by council for a builder to do you will require a permit.

There's often other conditions, like if it's attached to the main building structure (it can be considered an extension) and may require a permit