Reno Suggestions

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ndpjai, 26th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

Thanks in advance for your expert suggestions. Personally not keen on demolition but wife say lets rebuild say masterton etc. Land is > 1025sqm flat block

Recently purchased a 100 year old property (19 queens rd asquith), clad home, wooden floors. Attached is the floor plan.

My aspirations below
    1. Make the lounge area bigger, so no sunroom
    2. Office room fine or make it relatively small
    3. 4th single bedroom make it bigger with an ensuite or add an ensuite between bedrooms
    4. Original Kitchen needs a complete reno say merge with dining room or keep it separate
    5. Original bathroom needs a complete reno
    6. Original Laundry needs a complete reno
    7. Storage room needs a clean
    8. Polish floorboards
    9. New blinds
    10. New secured carport
    11. Landscape gardening with magnolia, frangipani etc.
    12. Two way entrance to be made One way via porch to lounge

Pls provide suggestions on minimal change in floor plan with maximum usage at a relatively medium budget including approx price thanks. If i missed anything pls suggest thanks.

Floor Plan.jpg

Attached Files:

KateSydney likes this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The major thing I see is small rooms and doors
    Is there a heritage or any other limit on a Development Application (required to modify the rooms)

I would engage with a builder etc to identify non-structural walls and options eg that dining room is old school and uses a load of space and could be opened up to what appears a poorly positioned kitchen. Walls usually limit options. Remove walls and you make more space and choice. Its often far cheaper than you may think. I keep looking at the T wall between the two sitting rooms and dining in the centre and see a large open plan area.

3. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Thanks Paul it’s not heritage listed

T wall you are mentioning that’s what I thought as well to make lounge bigger by removing sunroom plus making dinner/kitchen combined

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I guess part of the issues is that the rear of the house (kitchen/bed 4 and bathrooms) are in the rear sleepout and there is a side sleepout that has been utilised too. That equates to rooms which are only 2.4m deep and will have a sloping ceiling.

To "fix" the house I would seriously consider chopping off at the rear sleepout and creating a new living area there which would have a good interaction with the rear yard.

If I was to do a budget fix on it this is what I would do
    - entry becomes an ensuite for the master
    - part of the old sunroom becomes Bed 4
    - open up living room to dining and old kitchen area creating one large area which could then interact via some nice doors to an outdoor deck.
    - move kitchen into other sunroom
    - put laundry and a scullery/WIP in the old Bed 4
    - leave bathroom where it is
    - demolish the laundry.workshop (or keep it)

floorplan1.jpg

craigc and Paul@PAS like this.
  5. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Thanks mate. Actually the rear sleepout (laundry, storage and toilet) is been constructed at 1962.
    Like the idea of open living\dining\kitchen to rear backyard with a nice door or may be make the living room towards sunroom. Make dining/kitchen open with a nice door towards backyard.
    We normally dont cook a lot, so we dont need scullery/WIP.
    Make the bedroom 4 bigger with an ensuite at the back.

Will keep you updated once builder engage to understand the structural vs non-structural walls first.