Reno planning whilst tenanted

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by M-THIS, 18th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. M-THIS

M-THIS Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've just purchased a new property that I am planning on designing a major renovation. The design process will take some time. In the meantime, I would like to lease this out (very liveable as is). However, during this leased out term, I would imagine i need to show many 3rd parties (designers/surveyors/builders/etc.etc) through during the design stage.

What are my rights as a landlord in this regards?
    What clauses or additional conditions would you recommend when signing up with new tenants?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I have gone through this with planning townhouses and have had to ask two tenant groups (two adjoining houses) to allow various people to "walk on the block". They are both long term tenants who have been absolutely fine as long as I let them know someone will be wandering on the block on a certain day.

Nobody has needed to go into the houses which is a plus.

If I had to find a new tenant with the requirement of needing access for different people to access the block and it meant potential tenants were not keen on this, I would offer slightly lower rent and explain why, and write this in the lease so they cannot say you sprung it on them mid-lease. With correct notices you can do what is needed but you want your tenants on side.

Last edited: 19th Jul, 2015
  3. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@M-THIS

There is a clause in rental agreement; quite enjoyment..as long as you don't bother tenets too much it should be fine.

Or

Just add special condition on lease agreement to grant you access for number of times for planning application purpose.

4. M-THIS

M-THIS Well-Known Member

Thanks Wylie and Be Developer.

I agree with this. It difficult to say how many times I need access for planning application purposes, however, I may set a certain number in the lease (say 2x monthly) or any additional visits will lead to deduction of $50 rent.

This will be fair on both sides, and make the tenant feel more at lease when signing.

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe also look at your responsibility from the insurance side,,if the place is vacant then just have all the quotes done during that period line up the appointments over a few days,it's also a good way to qualify anyone that you intend to employ,anyone that turns up on time is always a good start,anyone that does not just throw their contact details in the recycle bin..

M-THIS likes this.
  6. M-THIS

M-THIS Well-Known Member

Thanks Willair. Certainly will. These DA reno takes time though, so I assume there will be trades/designers wanting to get access down the track as well. Hopefully it wont cause too many issues.

7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Fair enough that this will notify the tenants ahead of time of your intentions - but depending on the state, trying to putting into the lease what essentially are extra inspections might not be valid under the state tenancy laws.