Reno - Carpet or laminate flooring for bedrooms, formal lounge, hall to minor bedrooms, or carpet?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Propin, 12th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My agent is recommending to go laminate flooring for above rooms. The existing tiles in the main hallway, kitchen, dining, lounge, is a medium terracotta type colour. I would possibly go for a colour laminate like this which would have less of a contrast with my tiles. I'm not sure if the overall look may come up too orangey. example of property with similar layout. https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-parkinson-134855110

Carpet would be about half the cost. I would possibly go light-med grey. example https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-calamvale-134458894
    What would you prefer as a buyer?

Last edited: 12th Nov, 2020
  2. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

or any other suggestions??? :)

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Anything but carpet. And the more uniform the better - so if you lay down laminate in the common areas, I'd probably do the same in the bedrooms.

HOWEVER, carpet would pair up better with tiles so if you leave the tiles as is due to budget, then perhaps carpet might be ok.

Propin likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've done polished timber (or laminate as an alternative if you don't have timber already) in living areas, and carpet to the bedrooms. We don't have any tiles anywhere except bathrooms, but our houses are Queenslanders so you wouldn't have tiles anyway.

Propin likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think this is sensible. If you stick to the tiles that are already there and add laminate, then you have two flooring finishes. Carpet in the bedrooms might make it look mismatched and busy.

And of course, carpets can mean some tenants won't rent due to asthma or similar issues.

Propin likes this.
  6. Hebro

Hebro Well-Known Member

I like vinyl planks. Laminate is a problem if it gets wet. I hate carpets, can never really clean them.
    Several houses now with tile to bathrooms and laundry and vinyl planks everywhere else.

Propin likes this.
  7. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

If I was buying to live in it, definatly carpet because its warmer and quieter.

It is a question that splits crowds at the best of times, so it will appeal to as many as it detracts from.
    At least its half the cost.

fantail, craigc, wylie and 2 others like this.
  8. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

If you don't use carpet in bedrooms perhaps "stage" with large rugs. I find smooth floors uninviting in bedrooms

wylie and Propin like this.
  9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Something to keep in mind! I’m hoping to avoid staging costs!

fantail likes this.
  10. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Selling a house, a car etc is selling a "Dream" you want it all shiney and nice so buyer falls in love seeing themselves in it and make an emotional decision

Propin likes this.
  11. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I'm really liking Hybrid floors at the moment, its a bit more than laminate but has a great softer feel and is not sensitive to moisture.

Propin likes this.
  12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

the house I'm living in now was staged and I still low balled $20,000 under. The agent thought I'd left and i overheard her telling a couple the sellers paid $5000 for staging and would double the money spent on selling price. Surely I didn't get sucked in, lol. I did end up upping my offer and paying what vendors wanted as it was the only property I could find that would fit multiple cars, trailer and large tinny, and I fell in love with the addition that has high raked ceilings and glass on three sides. I found out later the agent and vendor were good friends. I Definitely paid at the top end!! Something that stood out though was it was very clean and quality reno's compared to other DIY houses selling in the area. The grout in bathrooms was all clean in comparison too. So many decisions where to put money into. I think if I go all out and get a couple of offers would be worth it!

13. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Hi Mel - just wondering how you have found the longevity and water resistance of hybrid floors?

I’m considering them in an IP and the installer is suggesting they are actually OK to put in the bathroom and laundry as well!

14. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I have had hybrid in my own investment the last 2.5hrs - its been through a roof leak and bathroom flooding with no issues (thank goodness!). However would look/feel a bit odd in a bathroom I think.

housechopper2 likes this.
  15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I have used in laundry but as it's a legal requirement in WA to have a floor drain in a laundry it there is no way to get the planks to fall towards the drain. Not the end of the world but goes against the intent of having a floor drain to help any flooding to stay in the room and no go into other rooms.

I wouldn't use in a bathroom as it is even more important to have fall to the floor drain however I have seen character.period houses where they still had jarrah floorboards in the bathroom and it seemed to work.

housechopper2 likes this.