Reno before settlement and no deposit down

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Moist, 14th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

Is it possible to do a reno on a property before settlement and then negotiatie with the lender to use a post reno value rather than the contract price to essentially put no deposit down?

2. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

If the vendor allows it you could have no deposit down (or minimal, like $500) and then a condition allowing you to carry out works prior to settlement.
    As for the valuarion side though, one of the experts on here can guide you. My stab in the dark says unlikely.

3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Pretty poor deal for the vendor, they get no security and you devalue their place if you don't finish the Reno and the deal falls over leaving them with a property that's harder to sell. I wouldn't go for it if I was the vendor.

Everything is negotiable however.

If the post Reno val doesn't stack up how do you settle?
    Think it would be easier to pay the deposit, Reval and extract equity the standard way.

4. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

no, but great question.

The vendor is unlikely to allow it, unless they are doing their own conveyancing and don't understand the risks of letting the seller do works before settlement.
    The valuer will use the contract of sale as the most relevant evidence, if they could be convinced otherwise, the lender will always take the lesser of the two, purchase price or valuation.
    The only exception to this is when the contract is over a year old, in which case a few lenders have some scope to use the increased val, under 80% LVR.

5. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was able to get early access on a 100 day contract in Brisbane. I have been doing renos for the last 2 months and it has certainly gained value with the works. Once it settles, can I go right back to the lender and tell them to revalue it?

I mean from the banks perspective, is it really that much different? I suppose the risk is that if the valuation doesn't come back higher than the contract price....

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Valuation or contract price - whatever is lower.

Perp likes this.
  7. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

and then re value the day after it settles and ask for your deposit back?

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

you could do that with some banks. One of my client's successfully did it.

but from a tax point of view you won't be getting your deposit back but borrowing money. So just make sure you have a separate loan for this.

9. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

If you've completed a significant enough renovation the valuer may certainly attribute a higher value - but don't be fooled into thinking they necessarily value it at 100% new market value unless it's been a complete restructural renovation.

I've had valuers only provide nominal increases for properties with updated kitchens, painting throughout, floor etc as it was <3 months since the purchase.

10. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

thanks for replies. If my current lender doesn't value it at market, can I approach a new lender and ask them to value it for the possibility of buying out my loan?

11. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Sure, but you would be better off having a broker order an upfront val or two instead, as approaching another lender directly will usually involve another hit to your credit file.

12. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

And it's at the valuers discretion more than the lender - they are independent of the specific bank.

I'd challenge that it certainly would be difficult to conduct a sufficient renovation during the settlement period that would materially impact the valuation enough to justify moving lenders - there are some nice exceptions, but you have to consider costs + time vs waiting it out (refinancing to another lender is going to hit you with another 4-6 weeks before settling).

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.