Removing walls - NSW

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by skater, 8th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

We've just started another reno. We usually do cheap & cheerful renos, but this time we're doing something different & opening up the space between kitchen, dining & living. There's two part walls to be removed. One is structural & the other isn't. We've got an engineer who will be doing the plan & signing off that it is correct at the finish. Do we require a certifier before we sell this property?

2. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

I would say yes, more and more buyers are checking council approved/certifier approved plans as part of their due dilligance and if the exisitng floorplan does not match the approved plans they start asking questions.

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

We had all the engineering done on ours with the final inspection, so have the paperwork to say it is all structurally sound.
    We didn't go to council as it was just another cost element, and some councils are such a PITA (like they are justifying tbere existance or playing God!).
    It used to be that council only kept records for 7-10 years, but now in the digital age I'm inclined to agree with @Anthony416
    With so many dodgy reno's being done (by a minority) and new apartment building faults highlighting the potential of building issue's more and more people are being careful and checking ......
    If I was to take out walls again I would likely register it all with council for the resale component

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We removed two walls, and had two hanging beams drawn up by an engineer (three years ago in Brisbane). We sold that house with those engineering drawings, and his paperwork having checked them after they were installed.

I wonder if you'd have to pay for a certifier after all?

5. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

involvement of a Certifier will depend on your local council.
    For a wall removal, building approval documentation should be limited to the structural engineers doc only. There isn’t really any benefit for a Certifier in this case as they don’t have the knowledge to size the beam or spot dodgy framing/connections.
    You may want to call the building/planning dept of your council to confirm.

skater likes this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This is an old home. Council won't have a floorplan on file.

7. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

I guess this all depends on what "on file" means. Yes, if you are talking are they in digital format then anything prior to about 7-10 years ago, depending on the council, will not be on electronic format. That being said, I regularly view council "hard copy" files when preparing some development applications, these are held in archive storage and are brought out for viewing, upon request, under the freedom of information Act.

Council officers will also check these files as part of a development application assessement if they deem it necessary.

I see many files from the 1960's and some back to the 1930's (in the latter case I needed to prove existing use rights for a property in Wahroonga)

Last edited: 9th May, 2020
    Scott No Mates likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They're performing their delegated duties.

If you are required to get private certification or council approval (generally required for building a wall but not necessarily for demolition).

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In Vic you would need a building permit and therefore a Building surveyor To(cer
    For a smallish fee you should be able to get a copy of all plans for your property that are held by council.

That’s how I confirmed that my council did not have any plans on file for my house. (I’d been told this over the phone, but for $80 I thought it was worth it to be certain).

Tom Rivera and skater like this.
  10. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

That's clever!

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You need council approval before commencing any work. That could be certifier or not. But must be approved before starting. Structural or not.

Penalty could be order to demo and penalties. Done correctly there will be zero concern on sale

12. Petaurus

Petaurus Member

Check out section 4.1 of the Exempt and Complying Development Code (NSW legislation). As long as you aren't creating additional habitable rooms, I would say you are ok.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia