Removing Stamp Duty is a terrible idea

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Dean Collins, 26th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

We need to increase stamp duty for foreigners to 15% like in Canada/Singapore or even to 30% like in HongKong. Too much speculation going on.

Northboy and Brickbybrick like this.
  2. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Stamp duties should go, or be severely diminished at the very least.
    I believe the kindest thing we could do for this country is strip out all un-necessary government rip-offs in relation to the supply of energy, the supply of land, the supply of property services and the supply of anything else governments get involved in. It’s simply bizarre to think that the reason people might rally to leave stamp duties in place is that they know it is simply a lesser evil than the next crack-pot scheme that would replace it – ie an annual property tax (read river of gold for government).

Another classic example of the way we are ripped off by government in this country is the annual charge on companies charged by ASIC. It was reported the other day that by charging each Pty Ltd company an annual filing fee of $246, together with other fees the government raises $720m annually, yet with the effective use of technology it costs only $6m pa to run that ASIC registry. What an absolutely unjustifiable rip-off of small business owners in this country!

And wouldn’t treasury just love to replicate that ASIC business model by collecting an annual property tax from investors (that other group that lefty governments hate)! Their uber-lazy solution to fixing the budget blackhole is to grab as much as they can from the pockets of investors and self-funded retirees, instead of trimming government waste and over-cooked welfare.

big max, Angel, Stoffo and 2 others like this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, govt has lost it's way, instead of being services for the people, they nearly all now think they are private operations to make money, it is out of control.

One example, is when you did a trade years ago, you got your license for life, now, they require a ridiculous payment to keep your qualifications, even if your not working in the field, many times the idea of trade was something to fallback on.

Look at all the training organisations, this is a big organised way to make money for business and govt.

Brickbybrick and Perthguy like this.
  4. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

How else would you prefer ASIC to be funded - especially so that it can fund (at times very expensive) legal action against companies and directors that have contravened the Corps Act?

If everyone did the right thing maybe ASIC wouldn't have to raise so much money in order to hold dodgy companies to account...

Joynz likes this.
  5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Cut waste and use taxes wisely perhaps ?

6. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Hi Marty
    My view is that in a fair and just society the funding of any ASIC ‘policing’ should be borne by the ones who have most to gain from the bringing of the bad guys to justice…..ie the general public. Ideally this type of thing should be just one of many items in the terms of reference of a sweeping federal tax review. Doubt it will happen though as treasury is just so sneaky. Why should one subset of the community (small business) get gouged at 100 times the fair cost of running the public register (far higher than in any other country I might add) to bear this community cost ? The answer is simple – because they can. As I say just another example of lazy government and world’s worse practice. Small Business Ombudsman Kate Carnell has also had plenty to say about this register being treated as a profit centre rather than a user pays system. Cheers.

marty998 likes this.
  7. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Having brought my micro software company from UK, this is the tax that really grates with me. In UK when Companies House changed from microfilming docs to scanning they cut their charges. The annual filing fee is now something like £15, say $25. Even better, if you want to view the records of another company you used to pay something like £10 a document to be sent a microfilm and now you can access all of a company's filed records and accounts without charge Companies House service

Foxy Moron likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

don't you love NZ, investor friendly. I like countries who are kind to property investors

Aus wants 3 bites of the cherry, stamp duty, GST and capital gains tax

9. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Yeah i try hard to invest in OZ ...but the govt take too much .

big max and MTR like this.
  10. big max

big max Well-Known Member

What's inherently wrong with "speculation"? Every investment is speculative and I for one would encourage a free market.

Angel likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes...We are all speculators?

big max likes this.
  12. big max

Dean why on earth would you think that imposing massive taxes on transactions of assets is a good thing?

13. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

Tax has to come from somewhere at the end of the day, if we scrap Stamp Duty, Land Taxes, etc. your left with having to raise more tax from labour.

We already get a pretty good run with taxes when it comes to investing through the 50% capital gains discount.

Dean Collins likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It keeps the underfunded and the rabble locked out of the market. Do you have a problem with reduced competition?

15. big max

Yes it does indeed. And yes I support open competition with as few barriers and costs to transact as possible.

16. big max

In my view there should be be tax on capital gains. Stocks / property etc. Just like in HK. And Singapore. Etc.

Save money by cutting the dole.

17. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Agree totally ;)

The focus shouldn't be on taxes:rolleyes:

It should be on how they are spent o_O

(It seems to me in this age of technology and efficiency that government is an ever expanding monster :confused: )

Kangabanga likes this.