Removing kitchen cabinet/workbench

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by paulF, 15th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    I have a small kitchen and I'm thinking of removing a set of cabinets/workbench that sort of separates the kitchen from my dining area to make it more of an open area.
    Not after doing a full Reno but just think that it's in the way as per photos and it rarely gets used as a work area but not too sure about it.

What do you guys think, would you remove it if it was your kitchen?!

Attached Files:

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Based on what you wrote and the images I vote remove... looks like a small space and it looks like its in the way. And if you hardly use it anyway...

Note, I'd be looking at redoing the kitchen flooring after the removal. I'd want to use a waterproof flooring though so i'm not sure the dining room floor can also be continued into the kitchen.

paulF likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd say yes... except that looks like the only decent bit of bench space. I'm interested to know where you "plate up"?

mikey7, Mick Butterfield and paulF like this.
  4. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Would not be a big job,those style of cabinets come apart real quick,plus would add a flow through area ,the only small problem would be the floor,but my vote remove..

paulF likes this.
  5. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies guys,
    Flooring wise, I will be replacing the linoleum tiles soon so in the meantime maybe I can put a kitchen rug around the area.
    As for plating up area, was thinking of installing a pull out worktop or maybe a pull out table that would come out from the side. That way I think I can get more space and can still have a decent work area when i need one.

Last edited: 15th Jul, 2016
    Jess Peletier likes this.
  6. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Yes I was thinking about bench space too. It will open up the area. As you said, maybe a hinged table on the wall that can be lowered when not in use?

paulF and wylie like this.
  7. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

The main issue with that will be the benchtop not so much the floor. If its a standard L config, the benchtops will be joined with a mortice join and you will have a half curve plus unfinished particle board benchtop exposed.

You can trim this back a bit and re-edge the benchtop, but be aware this will be a bit fiddly and potential to cause issues.

paulF and Mick Butterfield like this.
  8. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I vote to keep it. For me it would simply be not enough prep area or cupboards without it. I do like to spread myself out though while in the kitchen haha.

paulF likes this.
  9. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thanks very much everyone,
    All done and removed as per photos. Made a massive difference and it was not that complicated. Still need to beautify it and I think just a nice rug will cover the floor bit for now. The wood floorboards are in great condition which is excellent news too for when I remove the linoleum tiles !
    Will install a pullout worktop or maybe just like Travelbug suggested, a hinged table would be great.
    Cheers guys
    @DaveM, I was lucky it was not lshaped and it was pretty much separate from the rest if the cabinet side so all I did was cut where I needed with a multifunction tool and a jig saw.

Attached Files:

Perthguy and Susan like this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

You don't waste any time, do you! ;)

paulF likes this.
  11. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    Thought i'd revisit this thread and get your ideas on how to make this monstrosity of a kitchen look a bit better now that the wall separating kitchen/lounge/dining have been removed(Old laminate floors will be replaced with Vinyl planks in the next few weeks). Not opting for a full kitchen reno though.

I plan on adding a compact (45cm width) dishwasher where you can see the glasses on right hand side cabinet. Other than that, repainting the splash tiles in green colour while keeping color of laminate cabinets. Changing the taps would make a nice difference too so doing that as well.
    Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

Attached Files:

Perthguy likes this.
  12. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Please paint those cabinets white, and new handles will also go a long way.

That beam looks great!

paulF likes this.
  13. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thank you Jess. I asked the builder to keep it exposed and to match the floor boards which is Tassie Oak!
    I'm guessing you mean the cabinets and their doors right?

14. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Yes :)

paulF likes this.
  15. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thanks again Jess! Will be doing that for sure.
    Also checked out new vinyl tiles today for the floors and i think i'm going to use a stone look tiles instead of similar oak looking vinyl planks to separate the kitchen from the rest of the living/dining with some nice trims around. Karndean loose lay Indiana i think is the name of it

Evolved Luxury Floors - Karndean Loose Lay Indiana Tiles - Evolved Luxury Floors

16. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

where the wall was would you consider a breakfast bar? for more benchs space plus serving/eating at.
    Could incorporate a study nook on the left also??
    upload_2017-4-10_13-58-56.png

paulF likes this.
  17. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Thanks for the effort @bob shovel !
    Breakfast bar is a great idea and i asked the builder to remove the cabinets you see on the right which used to be behind the wall where you are suggesting to have the Breakfast bar, just in case i end up putting some kind of a bench there. I don't think a study nook would work as the area is not large enough and it's a lounge so don't think it would be functional.

Cheers