Removing asbestos myself

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Joe Davola, 18th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joe Davola

Joe Davola Member

So theres some villa board in the bathroom that I reckon has asbestos in it. I'd taken half the wall down before discovering it may be asbestos.

I want to just finish the job myself, buy some protective gear and do it.

Has anyone else done this before?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You need to find a proper place to dispose of it too.

Go to the Renovate Forum site and read up on the Asbestos section. Be very careful, wear the correct mask and use the proper techniques.

Also, you should have it tested - it may not be asbestos.

3. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

Ive done it. The EPA website has info and you will need to phone the tip before you drop it off, so they can "dig a special pit". If you have a large qty EPA require you use their app so they can track your path to the tip.

4. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Just hold your breath when pulling the sheets off hahaha. On a serious note when removing the sheets, make sure the room you are removing the asbestos is well sealed off with thick black builders plastic. Make sure the sheets are wet while removing the sheets so it reduces the dust particles in the air. Also for the ppe use a heavy duty all in one overalls with a hood built in, a high quality respirator that is suited for asbestos, heavy duty gloves and eye protection.

Make sure all pieces are well Sealed in the thick black builders plastic and taped up with no exposed openings.

5. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

The real crazy Joe Davola would rip it out with his teeth.

VB King, Joe Davola and Player like this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

And consider how you will clean up the little bits that might fall off when you pull the sheets off. Hint - not by vacuuming with a normal vacuum cleaner.

Last edited: 18th Oct, 2017
  7. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Ill-eat-you-last.jpg

8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Im going to be doing it myself too. The prices are ridiculous and they're mostly cowboys anyway. Yes, will follow correct procedure as above.

9. Joe Davola

Joe Davola Member

Haha. Too late.

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You really should get the material tested. It isn’t expensive.

If it is asbestos, you mustn’t continue to use that vacuum cleaner as it will spread any loose fibers throughout the house with the exhaust air.

I had some sheeting in my bathroom that looked like asbestos but turned out not to be.

It was very hard to tell asbestos from regular cement sheeting - even though I had a lot of actual asbestos sheeting removed previously.

Last edited: 19th Oct, 2017
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not a joking matter - acm is a known carcenogen.

Gingin, WattleIdo and Tim86 like this.
  12. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Treat all that old fibro like asbestos.

If you are using vaccum cleaners for the clean up then you really don't know what you are doing and should have paid someone from the get go.

Asbestos fibres are so small they will go straight through a vaccums filter and then shoot up into the air. You might as well have used a leaf blower.

Im not sure about other areas but in Brisbane we can only remove a small amount ourselves.

Ive removed asbestos before but Ive wet the whole area down and double wrapped the asbestos in builders plastic and dumped it in the asbestos bin at the dump. All while wearing an asbestos rated mask.

Joynz likes this.
  13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I once hired a wet and dry vac from one of those outlets - just to vacuum up little bits of old wallpaper and paint etc but I bet it was used for asbestos prior. Probably even by those same cowboys who charge you for their rentals.
    I know there are much better operators but they do cost an awful lot of money.

14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Check your state regulations and codes of practise. Each state is diff r ent

15. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Theres a lot of things I DIY myself. Removing asbestos is not one of those things.

Gingin likes this.
  16. Scott No Mates

You get what you pay for.

17. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

That's one reason I would never hire a normal vacuum for any work as you never know what it’s been used for. Though if it had been used for asbestos removal, the operator would also be exposed.

Professional asbestos removal companies do use vacuums - but with asbestos quality HEPA filters (with proper sealing so completely different from the domestic version).

I had a slightly disappointing experience with a professional asbestos removal company- left lots of bits the size of 50 cent pieces on the grass under the eaves and some bigger bits on the top plate. Still assessed as 'clean' and received a clearance certificate!

19. Scott No Mates

Didn't you do an inspection before you pay a contractor?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia