Removing and preventing mould in shower

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by robbie_p, 24th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I was just wondering what the best and safest product to use to remove mold from grout in the shower?

I was going to use some bleach but wasn’t sure it was safe to uses on grout? If so, what dilution ratio with water or should i just purchase a product like Selleys Rapid Mould Killer?

In terms of preventing it, we are going to make sure the window is always left slightly open (currently always closed!) for better ventilation and that the blinds are also always open (currently always closed!) for better light. Also going to make sure extractor fan is running for a while even after finished showering (currently only on during a shower).

Is there anything which can be done to prevent mould? Maybe a general spray of the shower once a week?

Cheers,
    Robbie

2. shimmy

shimmy Well-Known Member

3. robbie_p

Thanks, but is bleach safe to use on your grout and tiles on a regular basis?

4. shimmy

shimmy Well-Known Member

It seems to be... I googled if it was safe to use on grout and tiles and nearly all say yes it is safe (some say to dilute it) but some sites do say to be careful with porcelain tiles - if you are able to, do a google search and check with your type of tiles.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Choice did a great article on mould removal which helped with my ip. Getting rid of mould - Laundry and cleaning - CHOICE

Choice found that Bleach and exit mould etc just bleach mould and don't kill it. Choice also points out that the active ingredient in bleach etc degrades very quickly and by the time you buy the product, it is unlikely to be the advertised strength.

Choice recommends vinegar diluted with water (specific ratio) and three buckets / three cloths method.

Also, address ventilation in the bathroom. I installed a second fan linked to the light. Added to the vinegar method ( used once) mould has not returned to my ip bathroom.

Perthguy, House and Gockie like this.
  6. robbie_p

Thanks!

I did the three buckets / three cloths method, followed by a spray and soak Coles Ultra Mould Killer, once it was washed down and dry, i sprayed the shower with a vinegar solution (and will let it just sit there). Perhaps i went a little over the top, but the mould is gone and the shower is sparking again!

Will focus on the preventative measures now..light, ventilation, airflow and a weekly vinegar spray.

This is the first winter that the new bathroom has been through, and being the coldest, darkest and wettest area of the house, it was a breading ground for mould!

Perthguy, Gockie and shimmy like this.
  7. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

Install a run on timer on the fan so that it will run for a pre determined period once the light/fan are turned off.

Tools

Joynz likes this.
  8. robbie_p

I could do that, but i have 2 fans connected to the same switch (not like it makes a differnce), but would mean setting up 2 timers (and im not sure if the 3 in 1 is hard wired or has a plug).

That said, we just going to get into the habit of running both fans for atleast 30mins after a shower.

9. robbie_p

By the way.. we have had the new ensuite for about a year so its the first winter its had and we had no mould issues at all in spring/summer/autumn with Adelaide's hot dry weather.

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Also it is really important that there is a source of air coming into the bathroom when the fan is on, otherwise the fan won't work properly. You have to hav e a door or window open a bit while the fan is on.

I installed a run on timer in my ip too. Also there is no need to use full strength vinegar - just the proportions recommended by Choice.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. robbie_p

How much difference would a small dehumidifier make in the bathroom?