Removing a squatter (of sorts)

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Bran, 28th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Make them into huts. Eh bro.

2. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

Oh yes, the possum in the roof - been there! Employ a possum man. Our poss is now out of the roof and is ravaging our magnolia tree instead

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Found him!!

There was a god-awful shriek just now and I literally felt movement under my feet whilst standing in my living room.

All of a sudden the noises from downstairs made sense, he is living between our new downstairs and our upper floor boards.

Should be an easy fix, but the kids and I want to provide him an alternative home first. IMG_9462.JPG

ellejay likes this.
  4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Sad news.

I arrived home from work today to find that my possum problem seems to have been sorted out, with the little thing deceased on the road out front of my house.

I can't be certain it's her (him) but my torch couldn't see any sign of it and it's been quiet.

5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

That's what you told the kids was it ? Evil.;)

JenW and Bran like this.
  7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

It's still sitting there. I was hoping a wilder and bigger animal would have eaten it last night. Thank dog for the antarctic snownami that might stave the smell off until a dog gets it.

8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Ok, so the dead possum is gone from the roadside after lying there for 3 days.

But the live possum is back in its old spot, and moving.

I can post a photo if anyone believes it wasn't really dead.

JenW likes this.
  9. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Good, I think?
    Good luck with successfully relocating him (the live one, not the dead one).

10. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

A possum in the roof? Such an Australian problem to have! I had a friend in the US who literally had to bear-proof his bins in the front yard. Thing just kept coming back (must have liked his cooking?!)

11. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Coming back from the dead after 3 days? Strong flu medication?

Bran likes this.
  12. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

This sounds like me, but its been 6 days and I'm still suffering.

13. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Everyone in Brisbane is in bed with the flu I think. That's why the hardy Southerners are hunting in packs and buying up property! No competition.

The resurrected possum is either a hallucinogenic or religious experience!

14. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Time for an update?

I chicken wired half the house except for the presumed entrance point.

I then dug out plans for his house: Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 7.38.07 pm.png

Here is the result before attaching the roof. (This is why i don't DIY renovate).

Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 7.38.16 pm.png

At least it was better than my Octonauts, Captain Barnacles cake for my boys second bday:

Once he was gone at night, I closed up the remaining hole.

Ahh. Silence for a few days. Shone the torch in just to check, and there he was. In his usual spot.

Found his new hole tonight, one of about 20 I hadn't even considered.

But it seems he has a bung eye, probably the result of an attack. I feel a bit bad putting a cripple out on the street.

PS: The possum guy quoted $1000 to board up the house, hence he still lives here.

ellejay likes this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We caught this guy a few months back, before boarding up the roof ... hired a trap from the local hire shop for $20/2 nights.

Took him 5km down the road and let him go in some lovely brush ... now we have a family of possums living in our shed on some old mattresses (phew). As I had "advised" hubby to throw those mattresses out at the time of dismantling the beds, and he refused to, I consider it his job to now undertake the disposal - and have recommended he do so mid-summer.

WP_20150517_002.jpg

ellejay likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Unlike here, possums in NZ are a major introduced pest (NZ possums came from Australia for the fur industry) - they have no natural enemies and the conditions are perfect for them to breed like - well - like rabbits did here before myxomatosis. They cause enormous damage to young trees and crops.

17. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Mine isn't cute like that one. Its actually a bit frightening with its big facial /eye wound. I wonder if this qualifies him for some sort of wildlife rescue - although I think its old and quite healed

18. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

True, I love NZ but their hatred of anything with four legs means I'll never really fit in there. 1080 is everywhere in that country and I've heard the locals talk about dead birds lying everywhere due to the above. There's nothing un cute about the possums there, it's the people.

19. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

We had a possum in the roof space recently but managed to remove him with the help of the neighbours. He's now living elsewhere so that we can all get some sleep. Possum trap and release, get up on the roof and cover any gaps is the way to go.