Removing a squatter (of sorts)

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Bran, 28th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

The squatter happens to be a furry animal that first scared the sheet out of my wife when she was home alone, then the both of us on Friday night when I armed myself with a nightstick to confront the intruder.

Kept me awake in the roof cavity from 1am to about 5am this morning.

I've never glimpsed it, but it MUST be a possum.

How do I get rid of it??

2. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Try rat bait - that usually works. If it doesn't work, then it's not a rat.

3. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

Attila Zoltan likes this.
  4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I just climbed into the roof cavity.

There is no way I am engaging in warfare with an animal that is thus far invisible, has night vision and is agile within confined spaces, compared to my 6'2" 100kg form trying to stay on the rafters, grasping an intermittent light in one hand, and a dim night torch slash weapon in the other, but heaviest of all carrying an irrational fear of small living things and heights.

There is a suggestion of a few possible nests.

There must be a fearless person who can humanely encourage it outside, then possum-proof the dwelling. Cause if it's up to me, I'll wear earplugs.

Azazel, spludgey and WattleIdo like this.
  5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I'd go the ear plugs, too. :) Everyone deserves a home especially in winter.

6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

7. Tidda

Tidda New Member

Pete the Possum Man is the man for you. He'll get the job done. 3250 1111 if I remember correctly and if you are in Brisbane :)

Bran likes this.
  8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Arrrrrgh!! It's back!

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Ear plugs. :)

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

When I get out of bed I will send you the details of the chap who got them out of our roof. I miss them a bit.

Lenny likes this.
  11. wylie

We got a lovely chap called Nick (0418 303 625). He is an older chap and is a snake and possum man.

He came to our house, closed up the obvious places they get in and out with wire, installed a one way door so they could get out but not get in again. Of course they were too clever and did get back in. He knew this may happen and left a trap which we put in our roof with an apple as bait. Once we trapped a possum, we took it to the back yard and did a quick (short) spray paint of his tail so we would know if the same possum was getting back in and to ensure they were all out.

We had to do that twice. After a month of silence they pushed through the wire mesh and he came back, left a trap again and put stronger mesh in. They fit through the smallest little spaces :).

Cost was small, (couple of hundred from memory), service was fantastic and Nick is a lovely bloke.

I miss our possums, but we also have had rats and they are a wire chewing hazard, so in order to deal with the rats, we needed to ensure we don't bait a possum.

Nick also makes (about $60) a lovely little alternative home in the shape of a possum box which we got him to bring with him and put in an appropriate spot so they are not homeless. He uses galvanised fasteners so this will stand up well to the weather.

Lizzie likes this.
  12. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Thanks wylie!!

I'm a bit worried about an older chap getting up to the roofline and on the roof. He is happy to do this?

I chickened out yesterday.

13. wylie

He has all the gear, ropes himself up. This is what he does for a living.

Bran likes this.
  14. PrG

PrG Active Member

Attach a possum house on a nearby tree with some treats in it. You may be able to induce it to its new home. Then seal up all the gaps through which the possum is entering your roof cavity. Possums are very cute and don't hurt people. Don't poison it.

Attila Zoltan and Lenny like this.
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

With that attitude hope it dies above your bed..They are a protected species. Your council will have info on legal ways.

16. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

It's not my attitude Paul.
    I wouldn't bait it, I love possums and spying on them with my toddlers.

17. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Possums don't eat the waxy rat bait.

18. wylie

Don't work on this being the case :eek:.

We had our pest guy put "possum proof" rat baits (holders) in our ceiling. The possums managed to get into them, and we had two die in our roof. That was very sad and I felt terribly guilty. That was a couple of years ago and we just thought "too hard". We don't mind the possums living in our roof, but we have had rats chew through a wire, and that worries me. We could have a fire.

So, now we have provided an alternative home for the possums, we will wait another few months and if they truly are gone, we will deal with the rat.

19. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

In NZ they use them to make fur and pies.

20. wylie

I've never understood the NZ thing where they seem to hate possums, but I'm told the possums over there are not little and cute like ours. I still don't understand the hate they have for them and the desire of many over the ditch to kill them and make them into hats...

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.