Removal of load bearing wall options

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Emma Grummisch, 10th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Emma Grummisch

Emma Grummisch New Member

Hi everyone

We are in the planning stage of our kitchen renovation and hope to remove a wall leading to our dining room as the kitchen Is quite small and pokey.
    My question is around how we might go about doing this. My husband does all the renovations in our home but I suspect this job is one that he cannot do himself. We got a renovation type builder to come and quote the job and it came back significantly highly then we imagined.
    How do you think we tackle this? go with a renovation company that has already quoted or go through engineering company ourselves and find a carpenter to do it?

Thanks

2. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Get three quotes from building companies doing it. As them questions about what is involved.

Note that there are a number of trades involved, so this is the easiest option for you as the builder can coordinate the whole job.

Arnel and MWI like this.
  3. Arnel

Arnel Well-Known Member

Personally I will tell the client what needs to be done but never how! I feel like to many people waste builders times for free advice.

My opinion on the diy renovators... I believe every task requires a certain level of experience to be optimised to its greatest potential whilst considering budget.

Everyone is so concerned about the price but not so much about the cost. Price is what your paying upfront and the cost considers your experience, the quality of the product, repairs , durability and so on. Value for money is all we should be concerned about.

My advice would be contact a few registered builders with a description and photos of what your after. If you can take some photos of inside the roof would be great also. They should be able to give you a price range for the scope of works needed. Compare the quotes and move forward. Ideally you would be some type of eng report but going through a builder they use engineers all the time so he could probably save you money on that. Further his materials and trades would be at a “quality and cheaper” rate that you could find.

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Yep, as per @Arnel

Detailed photo's of the wall and the area in the roof cavity (also listing the floor type, slab/stumps, roof type, age of house), this will make everyone's life easier.

Having multiple people/trades spend time to attend site then quote only inflates everyone's overall price (particularly when most can give you a fairly accurate price from a few pics and some measurements).

Arnel likes this.