Remote Freezer Monitoring?

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by geoffw, 15th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I have a commercial tenant who has freezers which have turned off- they claim that the power board is at fault, but electricians say the power board is OK. They've lost a lot of food which was intended for charity recipients. A blown circuit breaker has been replaced; and although the power board is old, I'm advised it doesn't need replacement.

I was wondering if it's possible to supply temperature monitoring to the site- the sort which sends out an SMS if the temperature goes above a given number. I can find ones in the US which are a reasonable price (< $100) but the ones I can find here are $400 for the monitoring plus $100 for each probe + mount. I'm not even sure how many freezers- but I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this sort of monitoring equipment?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That looks good. It doesn't require a separate probe, which makes it cheaper still. I'm guessing one unit per freezer. Does your friend actually use these units? In Australia? Thanks!

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Not sure what unit he was using - was some time ago (in Aust)

The Y-man

5. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

We remotely monitor the temperature of our food storage via an alarm system which dials our refrigeration mechanics in the event of a temperature increase.

Note this is a high volume ammonia plant with several thousand pallets.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There is no requirement to replace or upgrade a switchboard if it complied with the standards at the time that it was installed.

If the tenant installs a sub-board or additional circuits, these are to be compliant with the current regulations.

If a circuit breaker tripped (or fuse blown) then it has done its job and protected the equipment (& your building) from damage. Have the tenant contact their electricity provider to check if there was a reported outage, to check/test their equipment & claim their losses on insurance.

@The Y-man - the GSM network has been turned off in Oz. Any solution that you install should be NBN compliant for future proofing.

The Y-man likes this.