Reminders/calendars for self managing

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by sage99, 12th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sage99

sage99 Active Member

We self manage our properties and have tried a number of websites such as Cubbi, Rentsmart etc but to be honest I've found it quicker and easier to use Excel to track rent and expenses.

The only missing piece of the puzzle for us is a good reminder/calendar system or app to assist with sending out lease renewals on time and that kind of thing. There are dozens of calendar apps out there but the maximum reminder or notification period is around 4 weeks. Renewals or rent increases might need to be sent out more than 60 days in advance so I need a reminder say 70 days ahead for example (and I could do two reminders but that's a bit of a clunky process).

We really need an app, not desktop software or a website. What do other landlords use for reminder or calendar apps?

2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Even with several managing agents I simply plug the details into my email calender with a reminder set one week prior to the required notice period so I can follow them up if need be.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I use my diary.

4. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

If you use Outlook you can set up reminders and attach them to contacts. Works well for me.

5. fullylucky

fullylucky Well-Known Member

You can do this in excel.

Just add (365 / 2) + date when the lease started plus minus head room.

This will give you the date you need to send out the reminder.

[​IMG]

if you want 70 days out you can go C5 - 70 instead of 14.

Gypsyblood and LifesGood like this.
  6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

asana.com

free for up to 15 users
    create a project per property
    tag tasks to use in a search with calendar view

Gypsyblood and wylie like this.
  7. Jennifer Duke

Jennifer Duke Well-Known Member

We self-managed a little bit and I used the Google Boomerang function to send me emails/reminders/attachments for the right dates. Or I'd never remember (email is what I primarily use). As well as a paper diary, heavily utilising the calendar at the front so I could see everything at a glance/when it's coming up.

8. sage99

sage99 Active Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have to admit I'm hopeless with a paper based diary and really rely on pop ups or notifications. I already have the dates worked out using excel like suggested above and will utilise in conjunction with email and calendar to get the result I'm after.

9. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

What works for one person may not work for another, just due to familiarity of tools. Sounds like your Excel solution is working for you. Whatever you choose, if you are self-managing just ensure you don't miss important deadlines. Stick within the tenancy laws so you don't run into strife, particularly if you have to prove when you actioned certain things if you ever need to go to the tribunal on a tenancy dispute.

Gypsyblood likes this.