remarkable!

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Apollo, 19th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Apollo

Apollo Active Member

it's quite remarkable how many property spruikers I come across each day giving quasi legal advice despite having no legal qualifications. Airbnb seems to be the rage at the moment with multiple spruikers putting in print that there are no regulations in this area. I mean a cursory glance on google will show up that council's across the country are cracking down on illegal short term letting arrangements. And the spruikers out there encouraging people to covert suburban homes into (basically unregistered) boarding houses with no appreciation for the development approval/permit requirements for this and registration requirements. The Senate Economics committee inquiry off the back of the illegal land banking scheme recommended (yet again) that property investment advice be brought into the realm of the regulation of financial services under the Corps Act.

I've seen client after client after client get sold nonsense by these people with very significant consequences for them.

It's a fairly sad reflection on our regulators that these people get away with this stuff unchecked year after year.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Even those that do have qualifications...

kierank and KateAshmor like this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Land owners should always seek their own advice. There are a lot of people who wont seek advice or will recklessly act when a prudent person would seek a second opinion etc.

There are some pretty stupid people out there - What do you mean its not really the NBN calling me. I dont have a NBN account ?? Oh thats right I use Telstra. And now you mention it that guy from the ATO who told me I owed money...He wanted jbhifi and itunes gift cards to pay the tax. That was a scam was it ?

If someone wants to sell you $600K of property you want to do some due diligence. Like you would check the price of groceries. And their urgent offer is them wanting you to sign not you needing to.

Perthguy likes this.