QLD Relocating to Queensland - please help

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by robbie_p, 30th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. namrata

namrata Well-Known Member

Personally I am fine with either, but the list that was mentioned focused on public only.

2. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

So my move is done now, the removalists were not "great" but they were okay.

The good:

They came at 5am to pick up as I asked them to come as early as possible.
    They called me 30 mins prior to make sure I was ready.
    They were in and out within the minimum time.
    They took everything out of the house and onto the nature strip THEN packed the truck, this was so I could clean then leave before they finished.
    They were pretty nice guys too.
    Price, it cost us around $1,800. Some of the quotes I got were for $3,500.

The bad:
    The website advertises they can relocate plants, our two plants were almost dead, fried from being in a hot truck for 36 hours, the stems were burned and the leaves were brown and crispy, that's fine but don't specifically advertise that you relocate plants on your site if you don't know what you are doing.
    There is a lot of marks on our furniture, most of it cleaned off but it was annoying to have to do and we kept finding more and more to do as time went on.
    They needed to remove the door of the house to get the fridge out, they refused to do it and told me it was my responsibility.

I guess you get what you pay for at the end of the day, I used a budget removal company and I got a budget service, as far as budget services go it was good but in comparison to someone like Grace Removals it wasn't great.

Personally I would rate them around a 3 stars but would recommend them to someone on a tight budget.

jim1964 likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

But did they say they can relocate them alive? :D

You need to change your location on your sig.

The Y-man

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  4. Christina46

Christina46 Well-Known Member

A bit late at replying, but we are at Wynnum SS too. A great school in my opinion. I think that some of the academic differences between Wynnum and Manly may be due to some socio-economic bias. We've just moved to be walking distance to Manly SS, but have decided not to move the kids. I'm a big fan of the Wynnum SS culture.

Hope your kids have settled in well.

5. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I'm not going to reread the whole thread. You moved to Brisbane, I think. Where have you settled?

Now head into the valley and have a beer. The dead Rat is a good place, although it's renovated and called something else now.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  6. Dan Donoghue

Good point, Done now, thanks :).

I'm on the Goldy in Mermaid Waters, Work is in Ormeau (Next to Yatala)

LOVING my new life up here, walks on the beach, loads of restaurants and bars, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else :).

EN710 and luckyone like this.
  7. Ed Barton

I got that totally wrong.

Just a tip, it's a dead give away that you're not from around here if you call the Gold Coast 'the Goldy'. People will probably think you're talking about a beer.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  8. Dan Donoghue

Haha, thanks for the tip :). What do we call it, the GC?

I know a lot of people refer to Palm Beach as Palmy and Broad Beach as Broady so I just figured the Gold Coast was the Goldy, Maybe I brought too much bogan with me when I moved ;)

9. Ed Barton

To be honest I'm not sure how Gold Coasters refer to themselves.

In Brisbane we'd probably just say 'the coast' or perhaps 'the south coast'. Mostly likely we'd just refer to the burb of the coast. "We're going to Dan's place at the spit for lunch"

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  10. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Gold Coast full of bogans, and there is a little bit in all of us anyway. Embrace your bogan traits!

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  11. Ricflair

Ricflair Well-Known Member

Would say you hit the nail on the head with part of the difference being socio economic bias. People were camping out in front of Manly sS last week to be first on out of catchment list. They should just rent in catchment for 6 months or put their parents addresses like everyone else.

The principle at Manly seems excellent amd so do the type of parent and children attending the school. I hear you attend plenty of birthday parties out of the catchment area once the school year has started. Lucky we are walking distance to the school as it is kaos around the two manly schools of an afternoon.

Anyway hope you’re enjoying the bay breezes, did you buy or rent?

12. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

Can I ask where are the housing commission areas of manly west?

13. Beyond Wealth

Beyond Wealth Well-Known Member

@robbie_p this was a few years back, how has everything gone?

Codie likes this.
  14. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Things are going really well :) Feel free to PM me is you have any questions.

Beyond Wealth and Pumpkin like this.
  15. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Welldone!
    Hope you can share where you end-up buying, and the journey of how you get there, ie how many suburbs you have considered, inspections you've been to.
    Love a good story :)

Parkzilla and Propin like this.
  16. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

Yes would be great to hear

17. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi, if you are working in the Brisbane CBD I would highly recommend moving closer to Brisbane the highway from the Gold Coast to Brisbane is a nightmare during the week. As soon as there is a an accident it ads 40 min to your commute.
    Pending your budget I would recommend - Shailer Park, Spring Wood, Rochedale South, Underwood. This is the sweet spot to get into both locations and they are still quite affordable.
    If you need public transport, Springwood provides bus lines directly to the Brisbane CBD.
    Otherwise follow the M1(Upper Mount Gravatt, Mount Gravatt, Holland Park.) These suburbs have great public transport and will get you into the city within 35min.

Parkzilla, mitsui and Propin like this.