QLD Relocating to Queensland - please help

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by robbie_p, 30th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

We will be relocating from Adelaide to Queensland in 3 months’ time.

My company is based in the Brisbane CBD (Queen Street) and I will initially be required to work in the office office 2-3 days per week, but will eventually it might be 1-2 days per work. Therefore I need to keep transport into the city in mind (even though it will be minimal). I will also need to use public transport and would like to keep my commute under an hour.

I will be moving with my wife and young kids (7,5 and 2), so a suburb with decent schools is also quite important to us.

We have friends on the GoldCoast, but considering I would be commuting a few times a week, the closest suburb in the GoldCoast area would be Helensvale.

Are there any other suburbs that you could suggest that I could look into?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Robbie

2. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Are you renting or buying? What's your budget?

3. robbie_p

I will initially be renting, so probably around $450-500pw.

Once I get familiar with areas, ill look to buy

4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

From memory the best public high schools are indooroopilly, the gap, Kelvin grove and brisbane. (In no particular order) I'm sure the Brisbane's will chip in soon.
    I'd be looking to rent somewhere around there. The school websites have a link to the school boundaries maps. Hope you like warm muggy mornings! :)

5. is_don_is_good

is_don_is_good Well-Known Member

My sister was commuting from a friends place on the GC to Brisbane for uni for about 3 weeks until she found a place to live. It is a seriously **** commute and it did her head in.

Brisbane is a great city and I'd personally live there over the GC any day. If you want to go down the beach once a fortnight to see your mates and hit the beach then just drive from Brisbane.

6. robbie_p

We have friend in the Cleveland area, which is also an option.

7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Anywhere on the southside is good; too many bogans/ferals on the northside :).

For transport, look at Brisbane suburbs on the Beenleigh train line such as Runcorn, Coopers Plains, etc.

Trains on the Beenleigh line go from the Gold Coast to Brisbane Airports. Little fringe benefits for you.

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I found the cops up there a little gung ho for my liking.

For a minor traffic infringement they went through my boot and checked under the seats.

And I only arrived in the state an hour and half before. Must have been the "I've been to Nimbin" sticker on the bumper that drew unwanted attention. lol.

Cia, Poppy, Ted Varrick and 6 others like this.
  9. kierank

Geez, you were lucky. Normally we shoot mexicans for crossing the border, especially if we have recently lost a SoO game.

MikeyBallarat, Ted Varrick and datto like this.
  10. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

What? Did they all migrate North from Woodridge? Or are bogans and Bevans different breeds?

kierank likes this.
  11. kierank

Haven't been to Woodridge but I have read posts on PC saying they could be there.

That is why I stated Brisbane suburbs on the Beenleigh line, not Logan suburbs :).

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Mansfield State High School on the southside has a good rep, near Mt Gravatt. Several older high schools in the inner ring suburbs have become colleges. Toowong has the Science one and Aviation High is near the airport and racecourses on the north.

Sackie, Hetty, petewargent and 3 others like this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Cleveland and Wellington Point are lovely, although Kierank lives in that general vicinity.

14. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I've been living in Perth for too long. Perth is divided into NOR and SOR (North or South Of the River).. so to me Woodridge is southside:)

I've been once about 20years ago. Just to see if the stories about guys in flannos, hanging out of Toranas, Kingwoods, and falcons with baseball bats and broken bottles were true. They were.

Poppy and kierank like this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

You know how people in Sydney's eastern suburbs have a thing about everyone else. Well up here the old money try to pretend Logan doesn't exist. Like we were discussing Rochdale and Rochdale South this morning.

Poppy and kierank like this.
  16. kierank

I believe they still are. But I am not going to check.

Phase2 likes this.
  17. kierank

And I thought you were a Northside girl!!!!

18. kierank

Only when I am not doing time ...:)

Seriously, they are good suburbs. If you want to live a bit closer in and still be on the Cleveland line, I would look at Wynnum West, Manly and Wynnum. All of these suburbs get the sea breeze which is handy in summer.

Also, not too hard to travel to the GC from there via car. We can get to Surfers in 30 minutes and Coolangatta in 60 minutes, non-peak.

Phase2 likes this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I am. But if our friend is talking Gold Coast and trains, I'm not going to recommend my school.

Alright then - Eatons Hill state school used to be highly sort after, I don't know about currently. Albany Creek High is great too, several excellence programs and cultural exchanges.

kierank likes this.
  20. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest Mansfield also. Easy commute to city via bus, easy drive to Cleveland and Gold Coast, good schools, may get a basic rental property in that budget too.

kierank likes this.