Relocating to Brisbane

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Karen Hawksworth, 17th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Karen Hawksworth

Karen Hawksworth Member

Hello everyone, first time poster here. We are planning on relocating from Sydney to Brisbane. Looking for a nice safe family friendly suburb with good schools (currently have primary aged children), a few cafes, but of life, access to supermarkets etc. Any tips on the best suburbs? Budget is high $1m’s. Thanks heaps!

Patrick Bateman and gman65 like this.
  2. Headlong

Headlong Well-Known Member

High 1's gets you into a lot of good areas. But those good areas there is still a lot of competition. Have a search of Hawthorn, Grange, Ashgrove, Holland Park, Seven Hills

Karen Hawksworth likes this.
  3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Camp Hill of course!!

Carina Heights for a lower price, still good access.

standtall and Karen Hawksworth like this.
  4. Karen Hawksworth

Karen Hawksworth Member

Thank you. What is Kedron like? I’ve heard there are good and not so good parts. We have seen a place on the west side of Gympie Road, but is that the not so good side?

5. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Both sides of Gympie rd are pretty good.. I prefer the east side referred to as ‘the avenues’, which has renovated qldrs on large blocks. The west side can also be nice.. the Padua precinct demands a premium as there a lot of nice knock down rebuilds.
    For your budget I’d try to get into Gordon Park or grange.. better school catchment and still on the lovely kedron brook.
    Note; most of kedron is actually outside of the kedron state high catchment, it’s further south in GP/grange.
    Or try Kalinga - in my opinion the nicest suburb in Brisbane.
    What block size are you after? Modern home or older character home?

6. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Where do you currently live in Sydney or have lived most of your life?

Regardless, you should aim for ‘Mansfield state’ catchment within the suburb of Carindale. 4152 is the most in demand post code in Brisbane and Mansfield state is the most sought after school.

For high $1m’s, you could land something like this:

https://www.domain.com.au/5-ironbark-street-carindale-qld-4152-2017287607

7. Karen Hawksworth

Karen Hawksworth Member

Ideally modern home on a block of no less than 405m.

vbplease likes this.
  8. Karen Hawksworth

Karen Hawksworth Member

Thank you! I’ll check this out. We’re in Lane Cove in Sydney, it’s a nice suburb about 7kms from the city, good schools, lovely community feel with restaurants and shops in the village. Something similar to here would be great!

9. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Congrats on the move
    Have you considered renting for a while first, get a feel for a suburb before you commit $1M+ to buying something? Am I crazy for suggesting that?
    Or do you know Brisbane well/lived here before?

10. standtall

I know Lane Cove very well.. I would change my recommendation to Camp Hill/Coorparoo (ideally within walking distance to Martha St precinct.

11. Karen Hawksworth

Karen Hawksworth Member

Yeah we have considered renting. However we are selling our apartment here so ideally we wanted to sell and buy as close together as possible so we are in the same market. Plus we have kids that we need to get into school and ideally don’t want to have to move them again. It’s a tough one! We don’t know Brisbane well but we do have friends there, who have suggested similar suburbs to this too. So it’s reassuring to see that all of you have suggested these suburbs too. Thank you!

12. Karen Hawksworth

Karen Hawksworth Member

Oh that’s great! Thank you so much

13. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

This may be tricky as the best school catchments and ‘villages’ are in established suburbs with a very high proportion of renovated qld’ers.. new modern homes are far less common..
    it’s worth checking out Rosalie and Wilston.

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Balmoral/Bulimba/Hawthorne has a village feel as well, but with one way in and out, you'll face more traffic to get to the city (unless you catch the ferry).

Karen Hawksworth and standtall like this.
  15. Karen Hawksworth

Karen Hawksworth Member

We’ve seen a property we like in camp hill too, our only concern was noise from flights? I know it’s probably not an issue right now but do you know if it’s generally a concern of people living in Camp Hill?

16. Karen Hawksworth

Karen Hawksworth Member

And thank you so much everyone - really appreciate all your advice!

17. standtall

I don’t think it’s an issue. One of most sought after streets in Camp Hill (Henderson st) is directly under the flight path and it hasn’t deterred anyone from buying there.

@wylie may be able to provide a better view on this being an area expert.

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My parents lived in Henderson Street 20 years ago and I don't recall flight noise. But we've lived under or near flight paths all our married life (Balmoral, Coorparoo). The difficulty is that right now, you don't have flights to be concerned about or to judge the impact of.

Check the BAC mapping to look at the flight paths. Even when we had flights, we rarely found they interrupted anything we did. The only time I noticed them was listening to the radio in bed there would be times I'd have to turn the volume up while a plane went over. Other than that, they don't bother us.

It will be interesting when regular flights start again if we suddenly notice them.

19. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

I would strongly recommend you spend some time on the ground up here to make an informed decision . If you are after good schools check around st Lucia , Indooroopilly and Taringa

Gen-Y likes this.
  20. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi,

You have a really good budget, would if your looking to be close to the city, water, and good private schools check out Wynnum and Manly, or really you are pretty safe to get within the 10km radius.

Camp Hill, Holland Park and Coorparoo are also great locations, with majority of the properties having Character overlays you have a large portion of houses rather than townhouses and apartments. Close to the city and access to some of the best private and public schools.