Relocating phone lines and Foxtel box

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by fantail, 28th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    Hoping this is the correct area to post this but can't find anything similar on the forum so if better elsewhere please advise, but here goes with my query..................

There's a power pole right out the front of our property and from this pole, we have the electricity wire, 2 thick phone lines from different providers (one old line not in use) and the Foxtel cable and black box thing all attached to the front facade brickwork (house doesn't have traditional eaves).
    These things are quite dominant so are the first things you notice when you approach the house and also put quite a bit of tension on the brickwork so I'd like them relocated - I notice the wires on our neighbours' houses seem to be attached to a metal rod on the roof. All houses same vintage (1970s) so why our wires weren't put on roof is anyone's guess but as part of an external makeover of front facade and garden, we'd like all these wires relocated.

I rangTelstra and asked them to send out their techies to relocate their phone line and the Foxtel box and yes that can be done but it'll be by a private contractor (!!) and there'll be a charge for that - quotable by the technicians when they see it but "hard to say but could be more than $120".
    So I've now had a call from a guy who looked up the house on Google and quoted me "$600-$700" to relocate Telstra and Foxtel wires. :mad::mad::mad: I nearly fell off my chair at that - totally over the top I think, and would still have to pay for relocation of disused line and electricity too. so think I might get someone else to come and have a look.
    Any ideas about who or what kind of tradie could do this? House is in Melbourne's eastern suburbs.
    Any advice welcome.

2. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

New point of attachment is the electrical part, in Victoria I think it needs to be inspected. Disconnect and reconnect by the authority. Nsw has self assessment .being a spark I think the quote is about right, cheap if anything.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Tell Foxtel to remove their installation and make good.

4. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

Hi Scott No Mates,
    Yes I thought I might do that. Pity I didn't watch the guy when he did the external installation of the Foxtel box - I would never have accepted it being put where it is.
    Gingin - not sure what you mean when you say it needs inspection because when Foxtel was installed, there was no inspection - the guy just came and put in the box and did the internal connections and setup and checked it was working then left. Or do you mean the electricity wires would need to be inspected and $600-$700 would be cheap? I agree but I haven't even enquired about electricity wires - this $600-$700 quote is just for the Foxtel and Telstra phone lines.

5. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Sorry I thought 600 was to move all.

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Electricty would be more to move id say.

If they are low hanging find a high truck to drive through and accidentally pull them down. Then get them to move it weekend the emergency guys come out, no charge to you ;)

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If the power lines are making you worry they are pulling at your bricks, why not put it to them that you are concerned about it. You might find they should not have been attached to the bricks. I've always seen them attached to a metal upright bracket, but I must say I don't go about looking at this type of thing (probably will do that tomorrow now I'm curious :p).

If there is no cost to disconnect from Foxtel, you could ask them to remove their box and then reconnect (as long as there is no connection or disconnection fee).

Or... you could call and ask someone else. It could be the way you explained the job to them that they are quoting like this. I had this last week trying to find out how much to move a gas meter. First person told me it was classed as a new connection and would be free. She transferred me and that person told me she got it wrong, and there is a charge.

I'd at least try one more call and play on the "it is in danger of dislodging my brick wall" angle. It is worth another call anyway.

bob shovel likes this.
  8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

The idea of the pole is to lift the wires higher to account for sag over the length. With the pole in your yard there wouldn't be much sag being shorter.
    Unfortunately it's not going to harm your bricks but like wylie said, play that angle.
    You'll need a contractor to disconnect the electricity and raise then re connect power. That will be the expensive part. You'll need the sparky first, they could probably do the lot

Last edited: 28th Sep, 2015
  9. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Be vary wary playing with electricity. It does kill.

To get a quote ask for a price for a new point of attachment with a stand off bracket. High voltage guys do this day in day out won't be crazy in price unless they have to extend the house consumer mains.

Please don't drive a truck through, lift , touch or do anything to those wires. They are dangerous to untrained people.