Relocatable Homes/Prefrab Homes - Who is the builder?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by gach2, 12th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

After having a tough time finding a builder in Brisbane to build a 80m2 dwelling (quotes are coming (130-160k for a shoddy finish with all corners cut) im considering relocatable or prefab homes.

Just wondering with these home who is the builder?

Is a licensed builder even required? If not am i required to get a owner builder license? Even if my scope of the works under 11k (QLD - just need to connect water/electricity to mains and stairs)

Anyone done one in the past?

2. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Just got told that the purchase of the home would not require a license and that if the costs of connections and renovation is over 11k I may have to get a builder or builders license.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Check this with Council for complete clarity, if you haven't already.

4. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

While they might have issues with the putting a removable home i do not think licensing of the builder is within their authority and more the states issues? Could be wrong so could ask

thanks

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What I meant was to check with Council whether the advice you had been given was correct about not needing a builder's licence to erect the building.

I'm not in your state, so QLD may be different, but if you are intending to erect the prefab yourself, or sub contract to others, you are very likely to need an owner builder licence.

The value for scope of work on a new build like this would likely be assessed on the total commercial value of the construction ( it is in Vic anyway). So you wouldn't split the purchase cost and assembly of the build (making it well over the cost threshold you mention).

You will need a building permit too and possibly a planning permit or whatever the QLD equivalents are.

To be certain ask Council.

6. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Sorry i just realised what i wrote.
    Should have said

One of the suppliers said their a licensed builder and the works provided by them would be covered by their license (supply and stump the house on your land)

As for permits, have already spoken to council thanks

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

OK, that makes sense - so the prefab company will be the builder and take responsibility for the warranty period?

8. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

thats what they said for the work they do,
    notsure if that includes warranty if the house falls apart or whether the house falls of the stumps lol

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Has to if they are the builder.