Relocatable Granny Flat

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Leslie, 24th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Hi Friends

I am thinking of building a granny flat in a property. Existing house is 1950s old timber house on 1000SQM land. Could not subdivide it now, but eventually will happen. So, I want to build a granny flat using 2 or 3 shipping containers, which can be relocated easily with minimum cost at later stage.

Has any one built a granny flat using shipping containers? I am aiming to build 70 sqm/ two bed room GF. Any one has any suggestions as how to build a relocatable granny flat at cheap budget please?

2. Hebro

Hebro Well-Known Member

Apart from council approval, you will still need to think about the cost of services - sewer, water, telco, electricity, stormwater, etc. These can be a significant proportion of a granny build cost.
    Does youR council require contributions or infrastructure charges for a granny?

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

What do you know about the building code / Australian construction standards ? To get council approval it will need to comply and you will fall under owner builder rules. You will need a OB license first THEN seek a permit to build. A OB isnt allowed to build a detached dwelling in WA I believe. This is to limit the one dwelling OB rule to the one dwelling not an extra one.

4. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Hi Paul
    I think you misunderstood my question
    I am talking to a builder to build this. I have spoken to council about this. Being in construction industry I know I will incur costs for connecting the services. My question is whether anyone has used containers to build granny flats ? I was planning to use 4 bedroom donga but council said that will come under multidwellimg and will need DA. So I am planning to use containers.

5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

This doesn't make any sense. Why would the amount of bedrooms or the use of containers make any difference to the need for a DA? Are you familiar with the ancillary dwelling provisions of the Rcodes?

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Surely there's a better option than shipping containers? I've seen advertisements for el-cheapo demountable type GFs, that would look a lot nicer than a dodgy container.

7. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

not to me either. But that was the response from the council see below.

The proposal to located a transportable building on the subject site, would be considered as a ‘Grouped Dwelling’ meaning that a Planning Development application would need to be submitted for approval (prior to a building permit being required). The application will then be assessed against State Planning Policy 7.3 – Residential Design Codes Volume 1.

In relation to the ‘levy’ query, a condition will be imposed on any development approval for ‘Common Infrastructure Works’ and ‘Public Open Space’ contributions in accordance with the Central Maddington Developer Cost Contribution Plan.

8. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

2 Bedroom Shipping Container Home Design | Homestead Look Container Home | 2 Bedroom Container Home Plans | Cheap Home 2 Bedroom|shipping container homes | shipping container home plans | shipping container house plans|shipping container architecture floor plans|shipping container cabin plans |shipping container conversion plans|shipping container designers|shipping container designs|shipping container duplex|shipping container duplex plans|shipping container floor plan|shipping container floor plans|shipping container home australia|shipping container home designers|shipping container home designs|shipping container home floor plans|shipping container home ideas|shipping container home layouts|shipping container home plan|shipping container home plans|shipping container home plans 2 story|shipping container home plans australia|shipping container homes plans|shipping container homes plans 4 bedroom|shipping container homes plans australia|shipping container homes plans free|shipping container house design|shipping container house design australia|shipping container house floor plan|shipping container house layout|shipping container|shipping container house plans|shipping container house plans australia|shipping container house plans full version|shipping container housing plans|shipping container plans|shipping container|shipping container plans free|shipping containers house plans|container floor|container floor plan|container granny flat|container home design|container home designs australia|container home floor plans|container home plan|container home plans australia|container home plans free| container homes australia|container homes designs and plans|container homes floor plans|container homes plans|containercontainer house au|container house australia|container house designs|container house plans|container house plans australia|container house floor plans|container housing plans| Container house front elevation.jpg

9. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Hi I am surprised with the response from the council as well. Do you know if any one has used the 4 bed room dongas as granny flats in Perrth? I wish to go back to council and ask them again. thanks

10. Paul@PAS

Councils always have some building terms and conditions that limit inappropriate development with transportable sheds, containers and the like. Even kit style homes and relocatable dwelling (prefab) can struggle as when assembled on site they must meet all the building standards. Just as you can sleep and live on a space shuttle or disused 747 you cant call it a building. A container isnt a building. (Building Act) It would need to become one and that change requires building compliance and a license may be required to do that. They want to ensure all aspects of code are complied with.

Section 1 : https://www.yilgarn.wa.gov.au/documents/15/guide-to-the-building-approval-process

Building regs basically "classifies" containers like a shed. You then need to demonstrate its a compliant building and licensing and insurances etc all must be met in the permit approval

Last edited: 7th Oct, 2020
  11. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Agreed, Went to council office and discussed with the officers who said the same thing and have given me some hope that this is achievable. Now time to knock the bank for money then look for a best architect to draw up plans. Thanks every one.

12. Hebro

Hebro Well-Known Member

I knew someone used a house boat on land. In the end, it seemed exempt from building and planning regs.

13. Paul@PAS

[
    The banks will be harder. They have policies. They want a saleable asset if its loan security. They like licensed builders and conventional builds. ie Houses. Constructing something that may impact the land if it was not completed, require demolition or fall short of completion approval etc isnt a risk they take.

14. 29349

29349 Well-Known Member

Condensation problems with shipping containers as dwellings