Religion and sexism

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by spludgey, 28th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

Thank you. I am so tired of hearing these misleading stats that make it out like a man and a woman working side by side doing the same thing, somehow results in a woman earning less.

Bayview likes this.
  2. Sashatheman

 Female graduate salaries are 90.9% of male graduate salaries. [/QUOTE]

How is this derived. I have heard the argument that men tend to demand a higher starting salary from which the discrepancy can arise, but i am not sure if that is the case.

Do you have further breakdown of this statistic. Is this looking at all the graduates as an aggregate i.e looking at everyone from school teachers to engineers? Because if that is how that stat is derived, the discrepancy can be explained by knowing that women tend to favour professions that pay less e.g Social Services, Education vs male dominating professions that pay more e.g engineering or IT.

juzzy likes this.
  3. Sashatheman

Yes, religion plays a huge part in how LGBT community and women are viewed and treated. There is definitely a correlation with Gen Y and Millennials (born after 2000) who are increasing irreligious and at the same time have much more progressive views on both those groups of people.

I am referring to the Abrahamic faiths in particular as i am most familiar with them, when I say, that their inner doctrines most certainly promote misogyny and anti-gay views.

HUGH72 and spludgey like this.
  4. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

How is this derived. I have heard the argument that men tend to demand a higher starting salary from which the discrepancy can arise, but i am not sure if that is the case.

Do you have further breakdown of this statistic. Is this looking at all the graduates as an aggregate i.e looking at everyone from school teachers to engineers? Because if that is how that stat is derived, the discrepancy can be explained by knowing that women tend to favour professions that pay less e.g Social Services, Education vs male dominating professions that pay more e.g engineering or IT.[/QUOTE]

Looks like its partly that, but not totally. Within some professions there is a graduate gender pay gap.

'Female dentistry graduates earned 15.7 per cent or $14,000 less than men whose median starting salary was $92,000.

The starting salary for female law graduates was $50,700 compared with $55,000 for men.'

http://m.smh.com.au/national/tertiary-education/gender-pay-gap-doubles-in-a-year-20130103-2c78q.html

'A study by Graduate Careers Australiafound an aggregate gender wage gap of 9.4% in favour of male graduates, which decreased to 4.4% when allowances were made for controls such as the courses studied by males and females.

This means more males enrol in courses with higher earnings such as engineering, whereas humanities, which provide less monetary return, are studied mainly by women.

However, the 4.4% gender wage gap couldn’t be explained by these factors, and is potentially due to inequalities in workplaces.

When looking at specific occupations, the study found male graduate nurses and primary school teachers earned more than their female counterparts.'

http://theconversation.com/male-graduates-earn-more-than-female-graduates-study-28101

5. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

This is meaningless without looking at the data and how salaries were negotiated by individuals.

6. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I've seen a few women with their eyes covered by mesh - does that qualify as a Burqa?

7. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

Yes, if they have their head covered and full body covered and have mesh over their eyes, that's a burqa.

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

And the ones you see people wearing at McDonald's aren't as good. Because the burqas are better at Hungry Jack's.

marty998 and Ed Barton like this.
  9. Ed Barton

So the Burqa is alive and well in Australia. Long live the Burqua!

Brisbane doesn't seem to have a large visible Muslim population, yet I've seen women wearing the Burqua on the train. I sometimes drive through an area with a lot of Muslim residents. There's a shop there that provides "fashion for the modest woman". I'm not sure what's fashionable about black, black or black?

I love the hats the men wearing white dresses have. Is it a Fez?

You seem to know a lot about Muslim culture.

10. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

I know 2nd generation italian women who grew up in melbourne but haven't dated any man who wasnt Italian decent. There was even family pressure to date/marry a guy from the right part of italy.

I believe there is a cultural problem not a religious one. So called 'honor' killings are practiced by hindus, sikhs, yazidis and christians.

I wore a veil when i got married and my father handed me over to my husband. Thats got its roots in old testament sexism.

im really surprised that so many people have seen women wearing the burqa in australia. Where are these women from? Its not worn in the areas where most muslim migrants come from.

Chilliblue likes this.
  11. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

I know a little from working in the Middle East a few times. In Afghanistan their burqas are sky blue. A lot of the rules and laws are from tribal times and haven't progressed into the modern world. Some of the tribal rules followed by Afghanistans Pashtuns are very noble. For instance, if you are a guest of someone's household the owner will protect you with his life and feed and house you. But...........then they also stone you for cheating on your spouse.

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

No worries - so then just don't fool around with the home owners wife :p :)

Northy85 likes this.
  13. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

4.4% isn't really worth quibbling about.

14. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

i have never seen a single burqa in australia in person, are you sure you've seen multiples on the train and it wasnt a niqab?

the burqas are when even the eyes are covered and is trypically blue. the niqab is the black item where the eyes are visible. personally ive always had an element of unease about the fact that you will see couples where men are walking freely in comfortable t shirt and shorts in summer and the women are wearing niqabs but it's a complex situation.

Attached Files:

15. Ed Barton

I'm not sure of any nomenclature of Islamic dress. But I'm now getting educated.

What I'm sure of is that I have seen women (I assume they were women) with every inch of their bodies covered and a mesh type thing over the eyes. Always black. Northey has described that as a Burqa. If that is a Burqa then there are some that ride the train in that dress. There are more that wear the Niqab(?) which is the same but their eyes are visible - always in black.

There are more women again that just wear a head scarf - that seems to be in various colours.

16. Ed Barton

The Burqa's I've seen don't' involve the eye mesh that covers 3/4's of the face like your pic. They are more like the NIQAB's like your picture but the eye section is covered by a mesh. Never seen them in anything apart from black.

17. sanj

thanks, i havent seen this one. must be pretty rare/specific to one section of the muslim community.

i believe the niqab has traditionally been from saudi etc but is starting to become a bit more prevalent (still pretty small % of overall muslims). i think burqa was specific to a section of afghan muslims but im no expert here so could be wrong.

hijab has always been pretty common, i certainly cant think of a single reason why anyone would have an issue with the hijab. i certainly saw lots of them in singapore/malaysia growing up.

18. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I see maybe four or five of those per year in Sydney. Seems that middle eastern and African women are wearing them (going by the men they're with anyway).

Certainly a sign of oppression in my opinion by effectively making the woman a non-entity in society.

19. Glorion

Glorion Well-Known Member

Im guessing their "women are for breeding, boys are for fun" mentality is not one of their Nobel facets eh?

20. sanj

i go to malaysia a lot and speaking to my friends there (some of whom are muslim), even they dont like the niqabs and its prevalence.

i think sometimes some people forget the huge cultural differences between muslims from different countries.

eg a muslim from malaysia is hugely different culturally to say an american or saudi muslim, just like we would expect christians from australia to not be the same as some from africa or singapore or wherever.

a lot of the concerns that some people seem to have (some reasonable and some not so much perhaps) actually are to do with cultural issues and not islam in general. it just frustrates me that some people cant see that.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia