Relatively unique home renovation ideas you've either thought of or actually done?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by jaybean, 15th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Especially if you are short, like me.

Not only would you have the reach issue, as above, it would be way too high.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Just gives some blokes more incentive to "aim high". How many blokes actually manage to hit the target more than half the time. And I say that having lived with four males for the past few decades and guess who cleans our bathrooms? :D:p

skater likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

In slab electric coil floor heating that is attached the the slab reinforcing before the pour ... not exactly unique - but not really known about in Australia. Ours was a first for our builders' electrician, and cost no more than a single reverse cycle aircon unit at around $5,000, fully installed for a 3bed/2bath open plan living house (each room is on a separate thermostat).

Not sure who our electrician actually used for supply, but this website gives a pretty good idea of the product.

{{ seo.headTitle() }}

Most people know about hydronic in floor heating, and are horrified at the cost - or under carpet/tile/floorboards which doesn't "store" the heat, so it dissipates quickly - but this product gives off a crisp radiant heat (not muggy like aircon), toasty underfoot and I would recommend it to anyone looking to build in a cooler climate.

We run ours for a couple of hours during the day - so it runs direct off the solar - and the slab stored heat keeps the house cosy and warm all night. Only downfall is that it can get a little hot during a sunny day, so we have to open a window or three, which is great for keeping the air fresh anyhow - but doesn't affect the heat given off as it's slab stored.

Granted - not so good for keeping cool in summer, but that's why we live on the coast :D

Last edited: 16th Jun, 2021
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd put it in the if I can't have anything else list. There are definitely situations where it is well suited but they aren't the type of things I dabble in

Angel, skater and boganfromlogan like this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

"under island bench" artwork being installed ... still to be screwed in place, then covered with scratch-resistant acrylic and edging trim

20210703_133552.jpg

skater, Gockie, Islay and 1 other person like this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

@Lizzie I'd love to get a whiteboard marker so it can be wiped clean easily and play a "where's Wally" type of search game on that.

Looks great.

Lizzie likes this.
  7. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Mitchell Revs! A great young local talent :)

Lizzie likes this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Very much so - I'll get some proper photos done for their promotion, when it's fully installed (and the kitchen is tidier).

What I would do different tho, is get the image printed on the reverse of the acrylic (they print it back to front so comes out the "right way" when installed) as sticking the vinyl mural to the backing board was a bit of a nightmare ... didn't know that's how the installer does it, but do now for next time

Islay likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Not professional (18yr old's iPhone) - but better than my old Android and looks amazing with the acrylic installed

211225487_838847190350289_5159432653240918934_n.jpg
    208610522_1198134160659939_8020753395934555477_n (1).jpg

Stoffo, skater, Angel and 2 others like this.
  10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Off the shelf, flat pack, Easy-As (seriously, that's the brand) plantation shutters from Bunnings.

Not exactly easy as - but not particular difficult either - and half the price of having a professional installer

231684025_10225854445334057_1435214400206682035_n.jpg

Kryys, skater and Westminster like this.
  11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Lizzie likes this.
  12. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

The shutters look really good. Do they come in set sizes - so they work only for standard size windows?

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

They do come in set sizes or you can order to size (bit more expensive per sqm for special orders)

14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Due to a lack of wall space in our kitchen design there was almost nowhere for a power outlet :oops:
    20211107_064651.jpg
    So bought an office desk pop up power tower :cool:
    20211107_064711.jpg
    When you don't need it just push it into the bench out of the way :D

Westminster and skater like this.
  15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Its a really neat solution.

Stoffo likes this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We did that too, in the stone island bench, as didn't want plugs on the waterfall sides. It looks fab and cost less than $100. They run to an in-cabinetry power point (on the back of a cabinet, behind a drawer), so not hard wired in.

Ours also has usb chargers for the phones

Can get them with the stone inserted in the top, and hydraulic lifting, but cost 7 times a much

20211107_090205.jpg 20211107_090217.jpg

Last edited: 7th Nov, 2021