Relationship: am i being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 14th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

All is good

Last edited: 10th Oct, 2015
  2. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Wow. And here I was thinking such Neanderthol thinking had expired. And I'm not really that interested i reading pulp from the Daily Mail, but from the excerpt they just sound like disfunctional relationships, blaming a symptom rather than a cause.

I prefer to associate with intelligent, confident, caring, determined individuals. Traits I value highly in my friends, and especially in my wife.

I'm really sorry for you. Having your self esteem so dependent on external factors must make things very difficult for you.

<snip Forbes article>
    No, it's not. As I'm sure most people on this forum are aware, most financial decisions for us (and by "us", I mean 1st world, relatively well off people) are optional. If you want to not work, you probably can, but you will need to sacrifice something to achieve that. If these people are not willing to sacrifice something from their lifestyle to enable them to be full time stay at home parents, then that is something they need to come to terms with.

As an aside, the "have it all" thing that gets bandied around is a myth. Men in "high power" positions dont have it all - they sacrifice family (or other things) to achieve that. I don't know how this concept of women having it all came about, or how anyone thinks it actually exists anywhere.

cheers,
    Inertia
    (hoping my quoting an snipping worked ok)

Blacky, Vultures, EN710 and 3 others like this.
  3. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I think you need to do more research on PND. You clearly have NFI. Most men do not seek help for it as they are concerned about copping major flack from people of your ilk. Your post is highly offensive.

inertia, Jkat and wylie like this.
  4. Jkat

Jkat Well-Known Member

Male depression post birth is a real thing -- maybe beachgurl shouldn't have called it PND because that has specific criteria under the DSM.

However, there is more research to show that men are impacted in a similar way, especially if their partner has PND. Also, impacts of depression on men post the loss of a child/baby due to miscarriage or still birth.

skater, inertia and wylie like this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

It doesnt matter if its called Post natal depression or womens only depression or "maybe mens depression"or "never men can get depression"

if there is a problem, there is a problem, the label is pointless

wylie likes this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's interesting that postnatal depression was raised in relation to men. I had not heard of this before.

There’s a widespread belief that postnatal depression (PND) is experienced only by women, but research and anecdotal evidence shows postnatal depression in men too. Men suffering from PND need help and support to recover.

Around 3-10% of men will experience depression during the postnatal period. Many people think that men experience paternal postnatal depression (PND) as a result of, or in conjunction with, their partner’s depression, but men can experience this independently from their partners. Although PND in mothers is the strongest predictor of partners having it too, it doesn’t always happen this way.

As with women, it’s important that postnatal depression in men is recognised and treated early and effectively. This will help avoid long-term effects on the father’s mental health and his relationships with his partner, children, family and friends.

http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/men_and_postnatal_depression.html

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Must be 1 million posts, could not read all ..

@TMNT did you resolve the issue?

MTR:)