Reimbursing deposit for new IP purchase

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by menty, 24th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. menty

menty Well-Known Member

I have done a refinance and new purchase for a new property at about the same time. However am wanting to know if my balance owing to the solicitor and remaining 20% will be tax deductible. This is the situation.

IP1 had a current loan set up with Macquarie as
    Offset to Loan A
    Loan A (IP1) - $480K
    Loan B - $155K (as available equity. $60K was used as a deposit for a previous purchase IP2)

IP1 was refinanced to access equity and split with CBA as
    Offset to Loan A
    Loan A (IP1) - $480K
    Loan B (IP2) - $60K
    Loan C (available equity) - $200K
    (the refinance has not been settled yet, however it will very soon)

IP3 was purchased and the initial 10% deposit was paid from Loan B (Maquarie). Stamp duty has been paid to the Solicitor trust account from Loan B (Macquarie)
    I have transferred all my offset money from Macquarie to the offset account of CBA. The loans for CBA are not active yet.

There is still a remaining 10% deposit and solicitor fees to be paid just prior to the settlement of IP3.
    I understand the best way to pay for this is to transfer the amount from Loan B of Macquarie, but I will not be able to access this account IP1 loan is also about to settle.

What is the best way to pay the remaining 10% deposit?
    1. Get a cheque from CBA from my offset account (which is currently not offsetting anything) and once the IP1 refinance loan settles, reimburse myself from the Loan C CBA account?
    2. Transfer the remaining 10% deposit to an external savings account with 0 balance. On the day of settlement of IP3 get a cheque for the deposit and then reimburse myself from the Loan C CBA account?
    3. If the refinance for IP1 with CBA settles before the settlement of IP3, it would be much easier to transfer that amount from CBA loan C to the solicitors trust account correct?

I guess I could borrow the remaining balance from parents as a loan. Then a few days later pay them back from Loan C once CBA as settled?

Are there any other ways to keep my remaining 10% deposit tax deductible that I have missed out on? I have been advised to go with Method 1, but am concerned I will be mixing private and investment funds. Im also aware that there is no loan present so I wouldn't be offsetting anything anyway and it would just be fine to reimburse myself?

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Sadly you can't reimburse yourself. Can you use the macquarie funds in loan B or is that all used up now?

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Wow, what a confusing mess and I am not sure that I follow properly.

but

1. You will be paying cash if you do this.

2. What is the source of the remaining 10% you refer to here?

3. You should borrow from CBA loan C to pay the solicitors.

Delay settlement on the purchase if you have to – after legal advice.

If you borrow from parents it has to be properly set up or it won’t be consider a loan.

Who has advised you on method 1? What aspects did the advice cover?

4. menty

menty Well-Known Member

Macquarie funds in Loan B are not used up there is plenty left. However, my concern is that I will be locked out of it during the refinance settlement.

WRT Terry's comments.
    1. I know I will be paying cash , but no interest has been paid or anything because it is not offsetting anything?
    2. The source of the remaining 10% deposit will be from Macq Funds in Loan B while I can still access it.
    3. Ideally I'd like to borrow from CBA loan C to pay the 10% but I don't think the settlement for that loan will be before IP1 Settles (Thursday). . I'v called CBA and they havn't given me a firm date yet

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

1. I don't see how that is relevant?

3. delay your settlement of the purchase if you have to.

6. menty

menty Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry. Ill see what I can do this week.