Regular investment in Index funds

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by mkbonline, 3rd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mkbonline

mkbonline Well-Known Member

I plan to make one-off large investment in range of $20k-$50k when market goes down again and then make regular small investment like $1-2k per month in a US based index fund like IVV for next next 10-12 years (i am 40 now. Both husband and wife in highest tax bracket but not much to speak about in terms of investments and wealth accumulation). This will become core of my wealth building / retirement kitty strategy. I am keen to use right platform. CommSec Pocket has limited options and CommSec main has high
    Brokerage. Stake does not have AU listed US ETF funds. Any recommendations on platform? Any comments on my investment strategy?

2. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

Selfwealth cheapest CHESS sponsored brokerage and commonly recommended. I use CMC which is fairly similar in pricing.

$1k per month buy in will mean brokerage is 1% of your total purchase price ($10 brokerage / $1000) which is very high. Suggest waiting until you have at least $4k to deploy each time (unless you want the peace of mind of averaging in once a month, then go for it).

Biggbird likes this.
  3. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

@mkbonline have you had a look at commsec pocket? It's pretty much built for exactly what you want to do, with very low fees ($2!).

You're limited to the ETFs they provide but they are all solid choices.

Worth at least checking out .

Biggbird likes this.
  4. CSDS

CSDS Well-Known Member

Go Commsec Pocket. IOO/IOZ. With your small purchases the low brokerage will be in your favour.

DoggaPP likes this.
  5. melbinv82

melbinv82 Well-Known Member

Open personal investor account in vanguard. No brokerage fee for their etf

Sticky likes this.
  6. mkbonline

Vanguard is not AU domiciled, so trying to avoid US tax work but investment in IVV. OR i am over estimating US tax effort. Thoughts?

7. mkbonline

Yes. I work for CommSec :)

hammer likes this.