Regular FOREX - USD to AUD - Most cost effective approach?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by rizzle, 5th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

If one receives regular USD income, what is the most cost effective way to transfer regular tranches back to local AU bank accounts?

From my reading so far, it seems like I should create an Interactive Brokers trading account, and use the forex spot rates to change currency, and then withdraw to AUD afterwards. Has anyone found a better method?

In the above example, would one create the IB account while in Australia, or once in the USA? Does it even make a difference?

I do have a Citibank global currency account, but with all the news on the Citibank banking division in Australia, who knows if that will survive.

Hockey Monkey likes this.
  2. Hockey Monkey

Hockey Monkey Well-Known Member

You may also need a Wise or other bank USD account in the same name as your IBKR account as IBKR don’t like to receive funds from third parties and you have to notify them of incoming amounts before they are send

so it looks like

Payer > Wise > IBKR > USD/AUD FX > Your Australian account

IBKR also no longer support ACH account setup for non US accounts, so you would need to do wire transfer from Wise. That might be a reason for exploring a US IBKR account

If you do use ACH, make sure it is push not pull otherwise your funds will be locked up for 40 days

Last edited: 5th Sep, 2021
    rizzle likes this.
  3. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Check out Oanda. Simple and easy to use.

rizzle and Sackie like this.