Regional Property

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Coastal, 28th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

2. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

Article----

One of the markets destroyed by over-building in an era of FIFO workforces (flying in and staying in camps, rather than renting local houses) is the Surat Basin region west of Brisbane. Vacancies in towns like Chinchilla went above 20%. But there is hope for those who own properties there. In the past 12 months vacancies have dropped steadily. According to Surat Basin Real Estate, vacancies have fallen from 20% a year ago to 8% three months ago and around 5% now. Figures from SQM Research are a little different, but basically show the same pattern.

3. Elvis1

Elvis1 Well-Known Member

Hi

I'm new to these forums so please bear with me , I found you post very interesting especially the borrowing restrictions we are seeing at the moment for the average income person.
    I am now in a position were I have to increase my borrowing capacity to keep moving forward with my portfolio , my broker advises me that my next two properties will have to be double digit yielding properties to increase my borrowing capacity to move forward .
    My question would be could I find these yields in regional areas ??

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You can get double digits in some places, or if you buy really well in others.... Broken hill will see you at double, can think of a few other areas, only you can decide what works for you.

But

I doubt it is going to increase anything, buying with a 10% return would allow you to keep buying 10% return properties, you not going to buy one with a 10% return then all of a sudden be able to buy your 800k 3% return Sydney IP for example.

5. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Anyone make a killing in regional property in the 10 years? I Got Lucky with George Town Tas (real F'en Lucky) , Millicent SA, Mount Gambier SA and Sheparton before I bought a few in Brisbane. I wish I went with my gut and bought more in cheap regional areas at the time. At the time Latrobe Valley was super cheap and Albury area had some sweet deals.

I remember checking out WA in 2018 and deals were good in Geraldon, but it was way out of my comfort zone. Saw some deals in the Bunbury area as well. Northam WA was a steal back then.

Last edited: 26th Jul, 2023
  6. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

i bought in hamilton vic in 2021 and it has seriously shot up! its been doing so well!!! i haven't really done anything and I've put it up $50pw and been seriously happy with it, positively geared and helped me expand my portfolio, not to mention the area has excellent sporting and schooling facilties plus heaps of other things i won't go into detail about. my yield is now at 7%

7. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

I saw Hamilton back in 12 to 2015 should have pulled the trigger they were about $100k for renovators now they are $300 k plus. Didn’t go with my gut.

sauber likes this.
  8. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

I know!!! I studied Hamilton for 6 months before I pulled the trigger! Glad I did. The agents are telling me the market is bouyant in the area which is good considering how melb and Bayside suburbs have gone...I was gonna go over to Morwell but it was a dogfight! And I was apparently a "interstate buyer" lol even though I'm from melb but living in NT. Hamilton has alot going for it! The shire is spending some serious cash in the area!!! The town is good for 20-25k people I think it has around 12k from last census data

In other news Warrnambool market going the other way. A mass exodus apparently from landlords....

Warrnambool landlords exiting market at unprecedented rate, says agent

9. re2020

re2020 Member

Hello,
    I am considering to invest in Mt Gambier & Millicent area. Any information to know before i invest. I am looking for a minimum to 5 years to hold.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Anil Amaravathi