Regional Property

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Coastal, 28th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I think 6% and upwards in the Central West but not necessarily a solid 7% like it was a few years ago. Unless you buy very well and renovate - which is certainly possible.

2. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

South of Wollongong is a great area to watch. Still some great buys down there and amazing returns.

Growth is no doubt not far behind.

3. Ryno

Ryno Well-Known Member

Thanks @Wattledo for your feedback. I have relatives that moved from out bush into parkes so makes sense about Parkes.

4. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

12% with with 30% CG gain in 7 years, in a town that some ignorant know all Handy Andy I think scoofed at when I bought it, on sommersoft, and the 7.30 report sald would become a ghost town because it would never rain again and the river would run dry, after which there where floods.

Musicbemyfriend likes this.
  5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Where's this?

6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yep, country towns can be ok too.

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yep, some places about to go kaboom:

13122015.jpg

JKWS likes this.
  8. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Mildura

Musicbemyfriend and larrylarry like this.
  9. Mr RD

Mr RD Member

Don't get me started with some of the planning issues, i'd be very wary of buying new house and land packages in the new estates. There are some two tier markets happening for out of town purchasers, and get some local advice about what new areas are better then others. There is a bit is sprawl going on, but the drive to the nearest shops is no more then 5 mins. Part of councils aim is to give new house builders choice in what part of town they can build, this has resulted in some piece meal development but it will fill in over then next couple of years. If you actually look closely at how the land is developed it is generally based on boundaries of the existing larger properties, there are master plans in place to allow for continuity of development.

10. Mr RD

Mr RD Member

Yields will vary from town to town and over time, there are good some yields coming out of Forbes, Parkes and Oberon. These Forbes and Oberon have also seen some good capital growth. There some better areas then others, and some helpful local agents. I just pick up a good duplex in Forbes, positive cash flow and potential to subdivide in about 12 months, being under 10 years old some the depreciation benefits still apply. But do your research as a couple of streets or blocks in the wrong direction can make all the difference.

11. Mr RD

Mr RD Member

stick to quality and you will always have a tenant. Orange and Bathurst may have higher vacancy rates, but there are sectors of the markets with waiting lists or the tenants are pushed into other housing stock. There are two tier markets operating in Orange and Cowra which are impacting on rental stock volumes. If you are unsure get some unbiased professional advice

Ryno likes this.
  12. Mr RD

Mr RD Member

Do your research there are some pockets that are running behind the neighbouring suburbs, a few little gems down that way.

JKWS likes this.
  13. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Rates Rates Rates are expensive... Moree NSW over 2k a year for Rates !!!
    Are all Country towns rates high ???

Have to take that into consideration when renting... High rates, low rental return.

That said I do like towns such as BARMEDMAN, TEMORA, WEST WYALONG

blackrocky likes this.
  14. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

Barmedman...population c. 220 people...o_O

15. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Yep, rates are expensive compared to the city. My Orange properties have nearly doubled in value in 8 years and my yields are 11% on purchase price. Trashmont has only moved 30-40K in that time but I'm getting just over 10% yield on that one.

16. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Yep, council rates of $2,000 and water rates about 700, are normal. I allow 3k for rates or 60/week, or about 1% for calculating returns, which allows a little extra for minor maintenence

blackrocky likes this.
  17. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

It can be a trap, rates going up faster than rent

18. Mr RD

Mr RD Member

that's why Net Rents are the only qualifier. It doesn't matter how high or low the outgoings are if the rent is covering and giving you the return you want. I am still amazed about how many people quote gross rents. yes they are a rough guide to start looking in areas of good net yields, but always compare Net Rents for investments. Investment 1.01.

larrylarry likes this.
  19. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

10,000 and under is a bit small.

20. Mr RD

Mr RD Member

hang with it beachgurl, i think Orange and similar places are set to close the gap with Sydney in next couple of years. Once Sydney settles and people start to realize that you can pay ave $611,000 to live in Blacktown or ave $342,000 to live in the cultural hub of Orange. The numbers are too far apart. Its almost a repeat of the market conditions from the early 2000's.