Regional Property

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Coastal, 28th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mr RD

Mr RD Member

The loss of this many jobs wont even be noticed as it is spread across so many places. I think Orange is losing 7, over 40,000 population, the new Bunnings just add 50 to staff and the new 24/7 Macca's 120, new medical services adding a couple of hundred more. The bigger regional centers go through their cycles, but fundamentally remain pretty stable. The paper always beat this stuff up and report on the worse cases.

Last edited: 11th Dec, 2015
  2. Mr RD

Mr RD Member

you make some good points, there is a big swing to tree changers, young families, young couples who are pushed out of Sydney by lifestyle or pricing. Regional centres can be good but if you are a first timer have someone who knows the area hold your hand. Avoids long term pain.

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

I have my eye on parkes as well. I have noticed the cheaper properties have been selling.

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Does anybody worry that some of these towns are becoming a bit icy, especially the Victorian ones?
    The epidemic could really destroy some towns if it gets too far out of control.

blackrocky and Wall Street like this.
  5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Silly me at first I thought you were saying they were becoming a big city!
    Um yeah ice is no good.

6. Ace in the Hole

Ice Ice Baby.

7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

One thing I've learnt about towns is that you buy in a good area.

blackrocky and Mr RD like this.
  8. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Even the ICE is creating jobs in these areas... Drug counsellors, mite Govt and private social services, more Police , more hospital staff, security guards.

Drug dealers in the area spending the profits in the area , taxi businesses as couriers , funeral businesses, doctors surgeries ,

Hayes, blackrocky and Set81 like this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

True. I just did an RPdata autoval and I'm a bit surprised at the range it gave.
    Might have to get another valuation done soon.

10. Wall Street

Wall Street Well-Known Member

Glass half full!

Mr RD and larrylarry like this.
  11. Mr RD

Mr RD Member

Drugs are bad MmmmK. They are in every suburb of every city, wearing a suit and tie doesn't make you a better class of drug addict, it just means you don't have rob people to pay for your habit. Living in a regional city, but not in the Drug scene, means i don't see it, but sometimes a weird news story will break and it just has to be drug related. There is always a flight to quality, and as long as you buy in reasonable areas you will minimize your risk. I see some towns named on here from time to time as being great opportunities because of the yields etc, you really need to pick and choose what you want your investment exposed to. The wrong side of the tracks in a small town, could see that investment go nowhere for 20 years. But it depends on your IP needs i guess.

bob shovel likes this.
  12. Wall Street

Wall Street Well-Known Member

The ice users won't pay rent?

Rent to the dealers instead - problem solved!

13. Ace in the Hole

The difference is that a larger city would have a better chance of survival fighting off psycho zombies compared to a small town.
    Populations will continually funnel into major cities, but small town populations may well diminish and not return.

WattleIdo likes this.
  14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I think you need to get out more. :)

Fargo, HUGH72 and adrian_christian like this.
  15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

LOL... maybe you have a unique strategy, look for highest crime area for your fav criminal tenants. You wont have much competition in that space !

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Jun, 2019
  16. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

The problem for Orange @Mr RD , is sprawl, too much building, too spread out, don't get me wrong, I like Orange, but the council seems to have given green light to every developer in any area without thought on property market and costs down the track, it is odd how many estates not completed, emplty blocks everywhere etc but then a new estate pops up. All the infrastructure costs and could have been managed far better IMO

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not with the gun restrictions. The people with the guns will take over the well prepared. Small towners have the advantage there.
    Just need to be better armed than your neighbour when the zombies come.

18. Ryno

Ryno Well-Known Member

Anyone got an opinion on Cowra? Im looking at Parkes for my 2nd IP. I am scared off by Orange and Bsthurst vacancy rates seem higher then other regional areas.

WattleIdo likes this.
  19. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

What yields are people getting in regional towns?

20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yeah I'm working in Cowra 2 days a week atm. It's pretty. But it's a slow little place. There are quite a lot of beautiful old houses and they're cheap. I've thought about buying there. Yield is healthy I'd say 6 or 7% not hard to get.
    Don't know what the future holds for that place though. I don't feel the energy there that I do in Parkes.

Mr RD likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia