Education & Work Refused a job offer after signing contract

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by hash_investor, 13th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Is it any different than signing a lease to rent a property then just changing your mind.

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I wouldn't feel too bad, it happens all the time.
    We've had a tester role open since November but I think one that we made an offer to might have taken up another offer. (So, I think she got 2 offers at the same time). I think better to move on ASAP before even starting. I think also as an employer we have to consider how much the candidates actually want this job and how likely they are to quit.

By the way, there seems to be a lot of quality candidates. No complaints here.

In another role one lady stayed for just one week and quit for a better offer that came up. Now that was annoying for the hiring manager. Our other staff was training her up then in a week she's gone.

There is no way we'd rehire her.

But... There are lots of jobs she can apply for outside our company.

Last edited: 13th Feb, 2019
    EN710 likes this.
  3. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Although she didn't do anything wrong. Your employer just don't feel good about it so not hiring her again is their way of satisfying their ego? Am I correct in saying this?

4. Gockie

One candidate has been in their current job 8 months. Reason for looking given? “Looking for a more challenging role”.

Meanwhile other candidates really just want a chance.

Really important that the person we hire doesn’t want to call it quits after 3 months or so.

When she quit (after just a couple of days) she said wanted to work in a completely different field and completely different role to this job. The hiring manager was completely floored by this comment!

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Feb, 2019
  5. Gockie

And then there’s candidates who say they can’t land a suitable job because they believe employers want people with local experience only. I have a friend in this boat.

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Feb, 2019
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I understand a better offer came along - but doesn't sit well with me. My word (ie, signing a contract) is extremely important to me and I cannot believe how lightly they are treated - and tossed away so easily - nowadays.

It's and ethical thing for me

Marg4000 likes this.
  7. Gockie

I think, how much better is the better offer? If its marginal, maybe stay. If heaps better, i'd definitely move.

My first full time job was extremely boring. IT support at a company where only a few PCs were networked. After doing it for 5 months Amex contacted me saying they had a role for me. I immediately gave the required notice period then left. Stayed at Amex for 6 years till I got a redundancy with the GFC. The job in the other company was boring me to tears.

As a result of working at Amex I ended up becoming a database developer and I still do it to this day. And I really enjoy it.

If I didn't take that role I could be doing something entirely different in my career. I think it was good that I had that exposure at Amex and this sort of work suits me to a Tee. I did feel bad for only working at the first company for 5 months, but it was for the best for me. 5 months is over 800 hours of your life... So you have to do what you enjoy. Life is too short to do a job you hate. There was another job I took and immediately realised I hated it... I tried to stick it out for a while but eventually admitted I had to leave.

Last edited: 13th Feb, 2019
  8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

That’s what a probation period for. Both parties can terminate employment within a week if they believe it was unsuitable for them. Ethical reason aside, it is well within contract conditions. It is irrelevant that others just want a chance.

On a different note, there are many who never state their real reason for leaving and “looking for more challenging role” can be one of them. I have seen member of certain team leaving in short successions to “take a break”, or “better opportunity” while the real reasons are not something you can tell employer (or managers) without offending them.

9. Gockie

That’s very true. Geez, it’s tough. They have to hope they stand out as the best candidate for whatever role they are going for and/or their previous work history is solid.

Otherwise, personal contacts are the best source of landing a job.

EN710 likes this.
  10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Exactlt.
    If the situation was reversed

Law suit
    Think of the children
    I have a wife and kids to feed
    Im going to be homeless

Will be phrases thrown around like confetti

hash_investor likes this.
  11. hash_investor

Doesn't sit well with me either.

Agree. Ethics were put aside when company offered you a contract. Every T&C was written down and not left to word of mouth because you were expected to act ethically.

Difficult one. Depends on the industry I guess.

Lizzie likes this.
  12. hash_investor

or without being called immature

13. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

The major difference here is if the company did it to you, there is a massive impact on you, it's not like you have a bunch of other jobs that are on your shortlist and you can just grab at a moments notice. For the company, they shortlisted a bunch of people and chose you, it didn't work out so they will just grab the next person on the list.

I would strongly recommend you DON'T "put yourself in their position", you are not a company, you are a person and the two are extremely different, for one the company doesn't have emotions like you do :)

Don't lose any sleep over it, the company will be fine without you working there.

EN710 and wylie like this.