Refugee kiddies in Nauru make a video "Get us out of here, please, I'm begging you!"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Beanie Girl, 21st Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Did you read what you linked? Australia breaches several of those guidelines. For a start, we're clearly in breach of the guidelines that detention is only to be based on individual circumstances (Guideline 4), detention should not be indefinite (Guideline 6), that in principle children shouldn't be detained at all (Guideline 9.2). Arguably, we are also in breach of several others.
    Article 31 of the Refugee Convention makes it clear that these are not illegal actions for asylum seekers.

Esel, Beanie Girl, BigKahuna and 2 others like this.
  2. thegreat

thegreat Well-Known Member

the problem is the majority of refugees that has the mean to come to australia with money ended up in welfare ....

make sure that your generosity not only taking them in, but to look after them financially for decades to come

3. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

After all they are the natives of this land. You me and the rest none aborigines are invaders/refugees/visitors or whatever else you want to call it.

Who are we 2 decide the future of refugees? Let the natives have a say....

4. thegreat

Taking any refugee into Australia, would include taking care of them financially for a long long time, the finance department must budget this in. Let us separate this case from Aboriginal Right to the land

5. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Not all refugees are dole bludgers
    Not all refugees are terrorists
    Not all refugees plan 2 rort the government

In fact some refugees end up contributing more when you compare them with shazza that is preggers at the age of 16 with her 3rd child from 3 different fathers & rorting the government for a pack of winnie blues.

Maybe finance department can stop funding wars and invading other countries and we will have less so called refugees? Think that a better idea.

6. thegreat

If ONLY all the facts are on the table.
    I prefer to have not shown a strong opinion without all the facts on the table

Last edited: 24th Jan, 2016
  7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

You would be flabbergasted if you knew what Immigration has to deal with in the real world.
    "Refugees" come on planes, and then get rid of their paperwork.

8. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Both my parents were refugees who were sent to Villawood more than 55 years ago.
    The year was 1970 , Dad was 45yo ,

They didnt get handouts back then.
    Mum had no child payments either .
    She Had to work 3 jobs her english wasnt the best but she got good jobs but had to give them up to look after us kids when the Welfare Dept came to our place .
    Back then the Welfare Dept cared and they had truant officers, nowadays they couldnt careless if kids were running around at midnight !!!:eek::oops:

We were given a housing Dept housing Commissin house in Manila Rd Lethbridge Park Mount Druitt, back then a nice family area of working people.

My parents even though 6 kids with me only born here ,my siblings found it hard at school speaking pratically no english,and my parents received no child endowment in the 70's they worked 5 jobs.
    I remember him getting up early to work at a chicken factory in Marsden Park.
    My parents soon got out of Mount druitt and we moved to the Eastern Suburbs.

I remember coming home one afternoon from Public School about 1978 to have a stern looking man sitting in our lounge room with a clipboard asking why my older suster wasnt attending the Shalvey High School out in Mount Druitt.

,Dad was always on shift work, i was a latch key kid and most times me and my brothers and sisters would be home alone until about 8pm at night .

As a child of Refugees i say no more to this once lucky Country that has gone downhill .
    Am i racist ? Probaly I am .Am i not allowed to be?
    I believe everyone should be speaking english in this Country and if my Mum could do it then other can do it too.

But I was brought up in a different Australia and a different Sydney without violent crime like there is now even though i must admit my Dad was bashed driving a Cab in Mount Druitt in 1981, I remember him saying they were punk rockers with coloured spiked hair with boots !:D picked them up after a John Paul Young concert ..Hit him over the head at the Berkshire Pet cemetary... Wonder if thats still there ...?
    but that was a violent period for cab drivers in that mount druitt area then with 4 murdered .
    Dad knew them all and he got out of that before he ended up in the boot burnt alive too.

I would hate to be young in this day and age, i really feel sorry for the younger generation nowadays.
    The ironic thing about me is that im a real Greenie unlike the ones you see on TV .

I believe in citizens rights over Police, I believe in penalty rates, i believe we should stop cutting trees down and have more parks, i believe in Unions, i believe we should ban guns , i believe in gay marriage , I believe in multicultural events, i believe in Aboriginal rights,
    BUT one thing I cannot become a member of the Greens is because i dont believe our once great Country should be swamped with immigrants .... Sorry said the Greens Party ... You cant become a member ! :oops:
    Our Main policy says the Greens is to flood this Country with immigrants!! And you just dont cut it ! :eek:
    But ... I asked " where are we going to put all these new refugees ?? o_O
    " theres plenty of land out there !" Snapped the fat lady with a skinhead haircut ,.
    "You mean cut down the beutiful trees and destroy the parks to build new houses and apartment blocks ? I asked shocked :eek:
    " Well if we have to ! Snapped the Greens fat skinhead woman , we need to house these poor people and if that means having no trees no nature and only concrete we should do it !!:rolleyes:
    We are the Greens and our funding is from developers and Real Estate Companies !!!:eek::eek::eek:
    Anyone who doesnt think the Greens arent pro Development are out of their minds.
    I wonder Harry Triguboff is a member of the Greens,I know some of my Orthodox Jewish friends make donations at certain times to NSW Greens .

Last edited by a moderator: 24th Jan, 2016
  9. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Villawood only opened in 1976...

Perp and luckystar like this.
  10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The Villawood Detention Centre opened in 1976. The Villawood Migrant Hostel opened in 1949.

Esel, Perp and 2FAST4U like this.
  11. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

image.png

Beanie Girl likes this.
  12. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

This is from a conference where doctors and nurses presented the situation as they witnessed it in Nauru.

After Au Drs speak up now they are threatened to be jailed. Shameful...
    image.png

Esel and Beanie Girl like this.
  13. truong

truong Well-Known Member

A controversial and highly emotive subject indeed. So rather than getting into the arguments here I will only speak about my own experience as a boat person some 35 years ago. A personal experience is always subjective, I know, but hopefully it will help ground this thread in a bit more reality.

For those who remember me from SS my family and I were accepted into Australia after a sea escape from Vietnam that saw us attacked by pirates, almost left for dead on a boat with no water and fuel, rescued by a merchant ship, unloaded on Galang island (then an overcrowded refugee camp in Indonesia) and finally assessed and admitted into Australia. Several people on our boat died at sea including our own little boy (our only child then).

My take on some of the themes mentioned here:

“Is a refugee camp a jail”. Technically it isn’t but for many it can feel like one. Food and shelter are important but to sustain you as a person you also need hope. If your hope for a better life is dashed then there’s nothing left for you to live for. Your life becomes a prison.

“Being damaged by the refugee experience”. Very much so. My wife suffered from PTSD for a long time and after so many years I still have bouts of panic. Living under the communists was hell but we still had our support network and were in our elements (known unknowns). As a refugee you lose control of your life and are at the mercy of circumstances (unknown unknowns). In my experience this trauma was worse.

“They can’t be real refugees if they have money”. Refugees are normal people from all walks of life, rich and poor, good and bad. Our family had some means but we lost most of it to the communists. What’s left was spent on various escape attempts, to buy boats, provisions and above all to pay the obligatory bribes. We ended up carrying our last bit of gold in our clothes... until the pirates found it.

Re ID papers. We still had our IDs with us in Galang but quite a few on our boat didn’t have theirs and they felt devastated about it. There were various reasons for that: fear of being identified if caught, dropped during the eventful journey, stolen with all other possessions, etc... For a refugee I’d say your ID is your most precious possession because without it your refugee status will be hard to prove.

Re people smugglers. In our first (failed) attempt I was actually the organiser and people paid me money to get on my boat, so I guess I fit the people smuggler tag rather neatly. On our successful attempt the smuggler role was taken up by a dentist friend. When we set foot in Australia however he was as broke as all of us since all the money had gone on the trip.

Re illegals. Without a doubt our behaviour was technically illegal. We left our country without the proper authorisation and tried to enter another without a visa. We sailed a boat without a permit. I myself broke out of a communist labour camp by stealing a spade and crossed security lines at night. So what, that’s the nature of being a refugee. Fortunately the civilised world is wise enough to recognise that illegality isn’t always evil but sometimes good and worthy of protection.

“Refugees are unemployed”. Refugees in a new country usually go through a painful stripping down process where their very own persona is taken away. To lose career, networks, social status and self esteem can be a very humiliating experience. Many people on my boat were highly educated professionals in Vietnam but we found ourselves utterly unfit for the same line of work in Australia. We ended up doing all sorts of jobs, seldom satisfactory. Formerly a teacher I spent years in lowly menial jobs before setting up my own business in something totally unfamiliar. I was on the dole for about 2 years but I hope I have repaid some of that debt to Australia since then.

Re bleeding hearts. These people are being ridiculed in some quarters but we got a lot of help from them and will forever thank them for it. By the way, good, decent people come from all political persuasions, not just the left. A lot of conservative, old fashioned people came to our help too. I’ve never understood how conservatives these days (or at least those that claim to be conservatives) have come to be so narrow and exclusive.

Re border control. I understand the need for tight border control and certainly wouldn’t want Australia to go through the same mayhem as Europe. But a cool head can go together with a warm heart. It must. Because on its own it can be very destructive.

SouthBoy, Vultures, Sackie and 20 others like this.
  14. geoffw

One of the best ever posts on PC.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Truong, I do remember you from SS.

Thanks for sharing, love your story.

MTR:)

truong, Beanie Girl and Xenia like this.
  16. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Detention Centres are certainly not The Hilton...we've covered that....

If you are "hoping for a better life" then you are not a refugee - you are someone wanting to move to better location....I hope for a better life every day; so what?

A refugee is a person or family fleeing being persecuted and your family threatened with death, or being driven out, or all of the above..you have no place to live that is safe any longer; you have to leave or possibly die.

These two positions are totally different.

If you are in fact a refugee, then anywhere that is not where you are being driven out from and or threatened with death is better - and you will be grateful to go there (I would hope)..

If when you get to this location and your chances of asylum are granted, but not yet confirmed, then that it is still a good thing; but it is not a guarantee. You are owed nothing, and anything from here is a win.

If it takes quite a while for the place of asylum to process you, and deem you to be legitimate, before you can be released into the general community of that Country where you seek the asylum; then that is unfortunate, but it's better than what you have fled from. These things can take more time than we all think and would like. Too bad.

If you deem a Detention Centre to be a jail, then that is your attitude. They are not jails; they are accommodation offered to you while your application can be processed.

It is in the interest of every refugee to help their chances by co-operating, by providing as much information as possible in order to expedite your processing.

If you have no paperwork, or no help is provided by yourself to help expedite your processing, then you should expect that it might take longer.

It is not the fault of the Country who is offering you asylum if you do not co-operate and provide as much information as possible to help your processing.

Munga and THX like this.
  17. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing Truong. It's easy for people to analyse, judge and stereotype when they have never been exposed to real life experience.

Glad you made it.

Esel, truong, RM1827 and 1 other person like this.
  18. geoffw

Oh wow. What an unbelievable response.

Truong detailed how he had to break out of a communist labour camp. "Hoping for a better life" when you're in a communist labour camp, attacked by pirates, seeing your own little boy die at sea... and you've dismissed all of that and implied that he is not a refugee, just somebody hoping to move to a better location.

One of the best posts on PC followed by one of the most insensitive ever, pulling a phrase out of context to have yet another rant about how refugees ought to be treated. A new low.

19. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

It seems you live in your own little bubble in where you think the world function same as Australia where you can go to an office or online and fill form123 and wait for the visa to arrive by post. You are dreaming and have no clue.

Esel, mrdobalina, Perp and 2 others like this.
  20. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

This is exactly the irony that AU is not offering any asylum..

Esel, mrdobalina, Perp and 2 others like this.