Refugee kiddies in Nauru make a video "Get us out of here, please, I'm begging you!"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Beanie Girl, 21st Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Go far enough back, none of us are natives.

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm very confused by what you say. Are people allowed to be refugees or not? If I'm confused it's because you haven't explained well.

Beanie Girl and Ozzie in Texas like this.
  3. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Here let me quote Professor S Peers

The drafters of the Convention clearly recognised that it might be necessary and legitimate in practice for a refugee to breach another country's immigration laws to escape threats to his or her life or freedom. So it is not necessary to be on the territory legally in order to qualify as a refugee.
    This rule is, however, subject to several conditions - including the requirement that the refugees were 'coming directly' from the country which they had to flee. If that rule is interpreted narrowly, then refugees can only benefit from the exemption from penalties for breaching immigration law in neighbouring states, not states further afield. But refugees’ failure to satisfy this condition only permits States to prosecute them for breach of immigration law; it does not allow those States to exclude the refugees from protection.
    Clearer?

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2016
    Bayview likes this.
  4. thegreat

thegreat Well-Known Member

Let me stir the pot further. What about current European Countries stand with refugees? Are things better or worse?

5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

allowed?

6. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

You did

7. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Where?

8. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

nonsense.

19.5 million refugees. What about genuine asylum seekers or people who havent even tried to seek asylum? There are millions more who would qualify if they had the chance to apply for asylum. Thats why i dont think developed countries are really interested in quicker or more efficient processing in country of origin. Because they dont actually want to share out the worlds genuine refugees.

The Jews are a good example because everyone's familiar with their history and because the right to seek asylum only exists because of their experience. It was after the holocaust that theUN wrote the convention on human rights and the right to seek asylum. I suppose i could have used ugandan asians or the middle class Cambodians as an example of middle class refugees.

9. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I'd ask them for a loan, because I live in Vaucluse, but have mortgaged myself to the hilt, bought the most expensive car the finance companies would let me borrow money for, the kids are in the most expensive schools, I have to pay the Membership at Royal Sydney Golf Club, the berth fees are due on the fifty footer, the wife needs to fly to Paris next week to buy a handbag, and the bloody Joneses next door have just bought a 55 footer, so I have to go shopping for a new boat....I am actually broke.

RM1827, Beanie Girl and THX like this.
  10. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

• Although those who come to Australia by boat seeking Australia’s protection are classified by Australian law to be ‘unlawful non-citizens’, they have a right to seek asylum under international law and not be penalised for their mode of entry.

• There is no orderly queue for asylum seekers to join. Only a very small proportion of asylum seekers are registered with the UNHCR and only about one per cent of those recognised by the UNHCR as refugees who meet the resettlement criteria are subsequently resettled to another country.
    Asylum seekers and refugees: what are the facts? – Parliament of Australia

Perp, Beanie Girl, RM1827 and 2 others like this.
  11. Bayview

Unfortunately, most of them are still wandering around with such a huge chip on their shoulder about everything the whiteys have done/not done; they don't have the time to spend on that stuff.

No; better that the current system stays in place; folks can still arrive, get processed offshore at one of the arrival centres, and eventually arrive on the Mainland and become Citizens.

I'd be happy with that if I had travelled half way around the world looking for an escape from death in my own Country.

Geez; I've been out at a 3 year old's birthday party down at the beach all afternoon, and expected to come back to this thread and see it closed down, and at least half a dozen forumites banned because they "personally attacked" someone with a sticks and stones...but it's still going!!

Well done, guys!! :p

12. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Well-Known Member

Professor Peers is an academic at the University of Essex and blogs about European refugees. He is not in Australia. He doesn't write about Australia's refugees. He knows nothing of the situation here.

Thx would be more credible if he quoted Gillian Triggs or the National Inquiry into Children in Immigration Detention. Facts are not on your side Thx.

The former Italian Prime Minister Letta was interviewed by Emma Alberici on Lateline. At that point, Italy had rescued 50,000 (yes, 50,000) refugees fleeing the Syrian crisis. As opposed to the Australian government, which refuses to rescue ONE refugee boat. This is what he said:

... we have to be very generous with refugees, because they are today under attack of religious persecutions, civil wars ...

EMMA ALBERICI: You went out and grabbed them all from their boats and brought them to Italy. That's not a sustainable policy, is it?

ENRICO LETTA: For refugees: yes, and for this very period. Because they were dying. And we can't accept, our values are values that, really, it is unacceptable to let dying people in the Mediterranean.

What do this government's actions say about Australia's 'values'? Not much.

Esel, Perp, Beanie Girl and 3 others like this.
  13. Bayview

Your first mistake with this post was to start with the word "professor"...usually some green cardigan wearing bearded professional student.

Your second mistake was to use the word "academic"...usually the same as above, but not smart enough to be a professor, and still wears a green cardigan and goes to the opera a lot, and sips lots of lattes in various inner-city Cafes with funny names.

Your third mistake was to use the word "blog"....they are like backsides; everyone has one.

Your fourth mistake was to use the words; "Emma Alberichi"....another Lefty ABC journalist - and we all know how unbiased the ABC are in all things (not).

Handyandy likes this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Oh wow. Denigrating the aboriginals as well now with gross generalisations. You've already done the same with refugees and Mexico in this thread. Why not?

Shoryuken, Esel, Perp and 2 others like this.
  15. BigKahuna

lol. You are criticising the source used by your comrade Thx: Professor Peers, an academic.

Interesting that you choose to play the man and not the ball. Emma Alberici is an extremely smart journo who could run rings around you Bayview.

Shoryuken, Esel and Beanie Girl like this.
  16. Bayview

Again; handwringers response.

Tell me I'm wrong about how the Aborigines - in general - view us white folks.

Have you ever had direct experience living with them?

I have.

There are many good ones, but they also have far too many destructive and too vocal voices holding their cause back.

Now; you might call that " denigrating them"...I call it telling like I've seen it.

17. BigKahuna

I think you've got it the wrong way around. I see plenty of posts that Thx doesn't like get taken down.

18. BigKahuna

This is shameful. How can you possibly put down a whole race of people because you have encountered a few you don't like? This is racism, pure and simple.

And, actually, I have spent time with Aboriginals in the Far North and in Redfern. Those in the Far North have to be some of the nicest, most down-to-earth, kindest people I've met in my life.

I'm actually disgusted by your post. The white man came here, colonised this country and is in the process of destroying THEIR land. In their arrogance, Englishmen elected themselves 'civilised' and decided the Aboriginals were 'savages'. That pomposity obviously still survives.

Esel, Bozley, Perp and 4 others like this.
  19. Bayview

She is definitely smart...all the journos on the ABC are....I watch a fair bit of the ABC, and listen to their radio station 5 days per week, from 8-5.

But; as a group - and as a media group; they are horribly biased. They never admit it of course, and always see themselves as the moral benchmark for everything, and everyone else who disagrees is wrong, and all debate is shut down if you do disagree.

That makes them even worse than someone who is dumb and biased, because they should have the intelligence to know better, and do what their Charter demands that they do - present an unbiased and even news service.

By the way; I regard what you said to me as a personal attack, but I can absorb that stuff - I find it hilarious, and continue on without running to the mods and having a cry; can others here do that?

I reckon not.

20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Interesting view...till you go there and verfiy one will not know the truth...