Reflective personality type - detriment to investing??

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by MTR, 6th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Author: Sonal Khaira (extract)

The Psychology of ‘I don’t know!’ – The Reflective Personality

Sitting on the Fence type person....

Reflective people can contemplate on a thought for days and even for years at a time. They believe in letting situations unfold and guide them to their destinations.

This state is definitely not an easy place to be in, ‘I don’t know’ can drive you insane because your mind can oscillate from knowing what needs to be done, to going back to the state where you are not sure. I call them, reflective and maybe that’s where the problem lies. Reflective people can dissect each thought with the same precision as a skilled surgeon. They would rather spend days contemplating on how wonderful the whole experience would be and then, think about actually jumping right in, with a gentle push.

What I have come to realise, is that it does not matter if you are reflective or action oriented because, in the end, time moves on, whether you want to sit on the fence or act on an impulse immediately, the decision will be taken when it’s required. When you don’t have a choice you are compelled to act and when you do have a choice it’s not all bad to enjoy the contemplative process, after all, that’s what the great philosophers enjoyed doing. It’s not a bad option to let a thought be and over a period of time, clarity is bound to set in.

If you think you are a highly reflective person, here are 5 pointers to know for sure.

1. Reflective people take time to act.

It is difficult for a reflective person to take a decision because they just enjoy contemplating on it and if, there is no deadline that is compelling them to act then they can be quite content just thinking about it.

2. They can change their stand in a matter of minutes.

This part is what infuriates most people, as reflective people tend to change their stands and views in a matter of seconds.

3. They can be spontaneous one minute and then go back on their same decisions.

This can be difficult to understand because they can take very spontaneous decisions, and then review their decisions and wonder whether the decision taken was right or wrong.

4. They are highly experimental.

Reflective people are highly experimental and naturally, come up with out of the box ideas. It can get difficult for them to concentrate on one idea and they tend to drift from one idea to the other.

5. Overthink their brains out.

It is advisable to be cautious of what you say to a reflective personality, they can scrutinise each word you utter and can sometimes misconstrue.

Sackie and Gormie like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.