Refinancing scenario

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by DOSHman, 19th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. DOSHman

DOSHman Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I would appreciate any input on the following scenario as a newbie looking to expand a portfolio

I am about to begin the process of refinancing my first investment property to access equity to purchase a second. I haven't been through this process before so it is all new to me. When refinancing my IP it will raise the LVR to 85% meaning I will incur LMI on the loan (somewhere around the 6K mark). My beliefs are that this should not be a deterrent as this is a tax deductable payment and it will also allow me to enter a second market sooner with hopes of future capital growth. Is this the right mindset?

I will be looking to invest interstate for the first time, does anybody have any advise on doing this. I will be doing my own extensive research on this, but for a starting point how do you narrow down a particular market to invest in? everything feels so broad and I often find myself going in circles due to indecision.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

why 85 and not 88 ?

ta
    rolf

3. DOSHman

DOSHman Well-Known Member

would you suggest taking out the highest possible percentage LVR, why is this?

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

No specific recommendation, we know nothing about your resources, goals, risk profile risk management etc

Typically, by the time you pay the LMI premium to 85 the extra cost to get to 88 is worthwhile if you have little buffer, or the extra 3 % geared up into a new property, gets you into a better IP

ta
    rolf

5. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

I believe LMI is tax deductible over 5 year period.

6. Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor Well-Known Member

Or the term of the loan whichever is shorter. Proportionalised for the first year dependant on settlement date.

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

LMI could be deductible, but would be it deductible for a cash out?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia