Refinancing Mortgage Questions

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by AB12, 14th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AB12

AB12 Member

Hello, I am looking for some comments on how to best structure my loan when I refinance my mortgage in the near future.
    I have a loan of just over $250,000 on an investment property (townhouse) purchased for $410,000. I believe that the value would be approx. $435,000. The loan is at a crappy rate (4.7%) with no offset. It is currently being rent out for $420 per week.
    My wife owns our home outright, it would be worth at least $600,000. In the next 12 months we would like to do some significant renovations, which I would expect to cost between $200,000 - $250,000.
    We have over $120,000 in cash, that we are saving for renovations, which we would like to put on an offset until we do the reno. We would need to borrow between $100,000 - $150,000 for the renovations.
    I make approx $110,000. My wife is currently on maternity leave and will be for the next few years at least.
    I plan to move to a mortgage with a much lower rate and an offset.
    My key questions.
    Is it worthwhile to change to Interest Only?
    Can I combine the loan for the renos with the mortgage and would there be tax benefits for this?
    Are there any other loan related or tax related considerations that I should be aware of?
    Thanks in advance!!

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You need tax advice.

I suggest you keep the existing split at $250,000 as IO and set up a new split for the remainder up to 80% also as IO (but could be PI) with an offset on this split (when you draw it down). Funding for the main residence can be taken from the existing split - no the interest will not be deductible as a private purpose.

AB12 likes this.
  3. AB12

AB12 Member

Yes, thanks. I do intend to, but wanted to get a bit of an understanding and information before I do so. Forearmed is forewarned. Thanks for your suggestions. What is the reasoning?

4. Terry_w

Reasoning for splitting is so that you don't end up with a mixed purpose loan:
    Tax Tip 54: Why Not to Mix Loan Purposes

You can then pay down the non-deductible portion independant of the investment portion and thereby save non deductible interest and tax.

AB12 likes this.
  5. AB12

AB12 Member

Awesome, makes sense.
    What is the logic behind going IO?

6. Terry_w

If IO you can divert funds to the non-deductible portion and pay that off first.

Once paid off you can keep that loan open and reuse it to invest.

Also added advantages are:
    1. low repayments
    2. can pay PI if you choose
    3. can build up cash for retirement quicker in a more tax effective manner
    etc

AB12 likes this.
  7. AB12

AB12 Member

Thank you for your help Terry!