Refinance with Reduce home loans?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Becky, 2nd Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

Good morning,

I have a P&I invesment loan w/ offset with state custodians at 4.31% for my first IP.

I'm about to buy my second IP so researching++ for better rate, with plan to refinance first at the same time and draw 50K in equity towards buying the second. (I also have 75K in offset).

Reduce home loans are offering 3.74%, but comes with $900 in set up fees EACH for new loan and refinance. Also discharge fee is $895!

Ubank also offering 4.09% P&I, which is another option, but only offer redraw (not offset) and i'm confused about the significance of the impact of amortisation as a (hopefully long term) investor.

In the whole process state custodians have now reduced my rate to 4.09% so now wondering whether it's possible to just take up new second loan with cheaper lender but keeps existing with State custodians. Does diversification extend to mortgage providers lol???!!! Or should I just get my second loan with state custodians too?

Any help would be greatly received. I've trialled a couple of brokers but they haven't been able to offer anything better so far....

2. MC1

MC1 Well-Known Member

Trialed a couple of brokers?? For rate??
    Ubank definitely for you Becky

3. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

What's taken you to these couple of lenders?

Nevertheless.. . Rate is only one part of the equation. What's your goal? What do you want these properties to do for you?

Often people think DIY will yield better results.. and sometimes it may with savings. However, it may come with a costly price of a structure that may be difficult to fix later on especially with the current tightening. Best to set this right from the start, in line with whatever you're trying to achieve apart from saving a few bucks.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You might be equating rate with 'best', but these are some of the worst out there.

5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Better in terms of rate, or better in terms of structure advice?
    A poor structure can cost you much more than you gain with a cheap rate - when buying IP's rate is always considered, but it's not the most important aspect. Getting a good valuation, using less cash, and having your loans secured correctly are things that most people don't consider when setting up their own loans and is where your broker should be guiding you.

Property Twins likes this.
  6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

From a tax perspective you may, but a proper offset - no

SC have a 'redraw offset'...........

People will learn of the difference if there is a liquidity crisis..............

These types pf products are ok for fully drawn loans, but if you park YOUR money in THEIR redraw, it becomes THEIR money and is subject to the rules of redraw of the lender.

In a true offset, which only an ADI can provide - your money stays you money as long as you dont default on your loan.

Ubank for eg has the below

ta
    rolf

Redrawing of early Payments
    Availability
    You may from time to time request a redraw under a Facility on the following conditions:
    ––
    You have prepaid amounts under the Facility in excess of your scheduled Payments,
    ––
    the redraw amount requested by You is not more than your Available Credit Balance,
    ––
    there has been no adverse change in your financial situation or to your ability to repay the Facility without hardship,
    ––
    the Security and the Security Property are in order,
    ––
    You request the redraw in accordance with these Terms and Conditions,
    ––
    at the time that You request the redraw there is no current Event of Default,
    ––
    no information has come to the attention of Advantedge and no event has occurred which, in either case in Advantedge’s reasonable opinion, would render the providing of the Facility prejudicial to our interest, and
    ––
    Advantedge, in its discretion, exercised reasonably, consents to the redraw request.

7. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

Can someone tell me the disadvantages of online banks like reduceloans? I'm almost 3 years with loans.com and just refinanced to reduce loan. Cheap rate was the primary reason. I only see advantages so far?

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No offset account
    LMi on every loan. They paid for under 80%.
    Must pass LMi sign off
    Slow
    Inflexible products
    Difficult to borrow against equity
    Higher discharge costs
    Difficulty get a valuation done

Gypsyblood likes this.
  9. Jess Peletier

If it’s set and forget they can be fine - issue is for accumulating investors that the inflexibility can cause issues and can be expensive to move.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  10. Rolf Latham

They arent banks, and thus dont have the Fed 250 k guarantee in borrower funds guarantee.

There wont be an issue until there is an issue.

Post GFC old Mac bank and old Rams are good examples. Likely less of an issue today at 80 % lend AND one assumes one can refi.

If it works or you thats great, it wont for many.

ta

rolf

Gypsyblood likes this.
  11. Gypsyblood

Thanks All. Yes 80% needed to be there if I wanted to get any rates advantage. I do have a 100% offset (a bit confused now between a "true" offset and what they are calling an offset? i will investigate) with the properties (all of them). My main gripe with Valuation and equity release process was that it was handled by multiple people not just one and I had to wait an extra week or so to get it all together for my next purchase. The customer support was excellent though and i was never lost or confused with the process. But i am very thorough too. (i think)

Last edited: 4th Dec, 2017
  12. Gypsyblood

Others: discharge is high for reduceloans (not an issue yet). The website for reduceloans is very basic, i cant just walk into a branch to sort out a problem and i had to manage the process end to end myself.

13. Gypsyblood

Jess, do you mind please explaining the poor structure part using an online bank vs one that is mainstream? Just want to check if there is something else i should be considering that i just didnt know about!

14. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

@Gypsyblood

Depends on your goals.

There are some lenders which allow alterations to loan structures relatively easily, whilst many others don't. Where changes can be made easily, there may be potential to save 100s if not 1000s over the the life of the loan.

Low rate or no fees sounds great on paper, but from what I have seen with clients, there is a bigger price to pay long term. Based on these interactions - it has been a case of - you don't know what you don't know.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  15. Jess Peletier

More to do with longer term plans - using leverage appropriately and choosing the right lenders with the right policy is key to building a portfolio so it's important to plan carefully to make sure you'll have the resources you need, to buy when you need. When rate is the focus, often you simply aren't thinking far enough ahead to ask the right questions.

Also if taking a couple of properties to the same lender, they're likely to cross the securities but that's no different than going direct to any lender.

There's a couple of types of people who a low rate lender is often okay - those that have either a massive saving and servicing capacity and are putting down 20% deposits for everything, or those that aren't going to be buying anything else for quite a long time. Set and forget types.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  16. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond Jess. definitely better in terms of rate only - there is no structure advice!
    I've always got 20% deposit and my strategy is long term buy and hold. But I also plan to keep buying properties every year or so, and many of these lenders have huge discharge fees.
    The idea of getting help from a broker with everything is appealing, but my logic tells me surely i should be able to get a better deal going direct.... I am learning that to make money now I need to bring others on board but the 'I can do it all myself' mindset is a difficult one to shift.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  17. Jess Peletier

It is - I’m a recovering DIYer myself ;) The tricky thing is you might be fine, by you won’t know until it’s too late if you’re not.

Sometimes the cost is not obvious - it’s hard to price the opportunities you miss out on.

18. Rolf Latham

Service quality access to funds price

Choose any 2 of the 4.

When it's gets more difficult to obtain funds, price goes out the window. More often than not. It's right there where portfolio builders get stuck and potentially go backwards real fast because the portability feature of the loan product we expect to be the same as a banks one...........

If price was the only consideration we would all be driving Chery brand Chinese cars, because all cars provide transportation, and that is the only consideration.

I see the same come up in our financial planning biz. .... Oh I can get xyz to provide this income protection insurance and its 20 lower cost. It's not until you claim that you find that you have wasted the other 80 % because the policy won't cover you due to some issue that the inexperienced haven't picked up.

As I have said before, basic cut price stuff suits some of the people some of the time.

Ta. Rolf

Becky likes this.