Refinance rejected but banks won't say why

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Tomodachi, 17th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tomodachi

Tomodachi Well-Known Member

Hi

I was trying to refinance 3 properties. I applied for Virgin Money first, we got conditionally approved then they rejected the loans because of confusion about part time income (broker used Overtime as whole income instead of 80%) and 1 of the home was privately rented for a family member so payment was in cash.

I tried again with Macquarie. The broker (different broker) ran serviceability test and it was okay even with the base salary and market income from the private investment, this was also rejected. They refused to disclose the reason why the application won't go through. We assume it was because of borderline servicing.

We tried one for time with Resimac and the same thing happens. It will service with spare room even with no income from the private rentals and using base salary. We were again, rejected and the bank won't say the reason.

I'm so confused. Credit score very green 800+. My broker suggest that perhaps Virgin flagged my credit file? I called them but they don't disclose information. Contacted the first broker and he said it was a normal application, there's no flagging.

Anyone have any advice or experiences to share? Please help.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Sounds odd

Obviously the income mix is a little odd, which doesnt help

The credit score, in an of itself isnt a good guide if a loan will be approved.

Typically, 19 years experience tells me there is something else going on............ when a loan is declined by a lender, we almost always know exactly why, unless there is something about the deal the lender wont disclose for privacy reasons - usually that is something on the credit file, some old default, undisclosed credit, or some concern around fraudulent docs or income etc. be mindful there is more than one creditworthiness provider..............

As an aside, jumping ship to another broker, after a loan is declined is often not the best thing, even where the broker may have made an error and shouldnt have lodged with that lender.

Moving to another broker can also be an additional compound issue for various reasons.

Was Resimac a Resimac Product or a Pepper product managed by Resimac - ie the Accelerate vs the Prime product ?

ta
    rolf

Lindsay_W likes this.
  3. Tomodachi

Thank you for your reply

If there is something about the deal the lender wont disclose for privacy reasons - usually that is something on the credit file, some old default, undisclosed credit, or some concern around fraudulent docs or income etc, how can I find out & if there is a way to fix it.

How long must I wait until those are removed or until I can try refinancing again?

It was a Prime Product.

4. Rolf Latham

Welcome

If you were our client as the second broker, we would have left no stone unturned to ensure we all had a good idea of why Virgin ( BOQ) declined the deal IF in fact it actually serviced in the first place. Lodging apps with lenders, that have a high chance of decline is of no benefit to you, the lender or the broker............one needs to do the work to make sure one has the highest chance of approval, and not just chuck it in and see " how she goes". Perhaps your new broker did all that.

Our first suggestion to you would have been, please get a full copy of your credit file from equifax or the like, so we can eliminate the obvious

Id start with that before doing any more apps and frying your file further.

ta
    rolf

5. Tomodachi

Thank you.

I got equifax reports, there's nothing out of the ordinary there. My concern is probably perhaps they flagged it for fraudulent docs or income? The 1st broker had used my total income 72k while it should only be 52k base income, the rest was overtime income. I also have the private rental income which is very basic because I rent it to a family member so it's cash & can be confusing.

If that is the case then is there anything I can do? How long will a lender flag your file?

6. Rolf Latham

Thanks

thats good.

Note there are other data providers like Dunn and Bradstreet

Virgin would NOT jeopardise your file in that way. Its none of their business, and would be a privacy breach of the highest nature.

When you say cash income for the rent, does it go to a bank account ? or is it cash proper ?

if so, is it declared in the tax returns ?

ta
    rolf

HUGH72 likes this.
  7. Tomodachi

I have also gotten the d&b. It looked normal just enquiries,etc.

The income is proper cash, cold hard cash.
    I declared all the income in the tax return.

8. Rolf Latham

Ok, I suspect we can park the conspiracy theories per se then.

Cash based income can be an issue .................

Even if one has a valuers estimate of the rental and.or rental estimate from a PM, in that sort of scenario, i would always PUSH for a "formal" lease to be in place to legitimise the cash based income

Cash scares assessors.............

As the ANZ Ceo said this week and I paraphrase ..................... Its just too hard, and often saying no is simpler and the safer option

ta

rolf

tobe likes this.
  9. Tomodachi

I see, thank you

10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

@Tomodachi, with such a different/unique situation, why didn’t you do your refinance with one of the MB on here?

11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Brokers will always know why a deal is rejected

AJP likes this.
  12. nuzullandchicky

nuzullandchicky Well-Known Member

I feel your anxiety on this. I wander if an application was lodged at all? I have had some bad experiences with 2 brokers (none on this forum, one folded and the other one Ive just had a deal go through with but it was disastrous). If there is one thing moving forward, like me, finding a really good broker that can work with your situation is necessary. Do you know if it was even lodged?

13. Tomodachi

Any advice? I'm so scared my file is bad forever?

14. Tomodachi

I think the application was lodged as there was credit enquiries on my credit files

15. AJP

AJP Well-Known Member

What i would do below:

- Obtain a credit check report yourself to see what they might be looking at
    - Ask for what the shortfall/surplus plus was for the proposed refinance (would be handy to know what affordability rates were used)
    - Ask for what income was used/how it was treated
    - Ask for what the GLEE was recorded as to see if it was bumped up to HEM
    - Are your properties located in any High Risk/At Risk post codes that require a lower LVR?
    - Do a title search and see if there is anything glaringly obvious (i.e covenants/caveats)
    - Who else is involved in the loan? Is their record clean?
    - Did those lenders have Debt to Income ratio requirements?

I'm speaking from experience at a Top 4 Bank so i'm not 100% sure what would have went on with those lenders, my guess is that the loans would have been run through a decision tool and triggered an auto decline.. possible suspects may include what i listed above

If the primary (being ability to repay the debt @ affordability rates) and secondary exists (be it having enough equity for the proposed transaction) was met... there is no reason why you should of got declined

In regards to the cold hard dough, If you can provide statements to show the cash coming in and it marrying up to what you lodged like you say, this shouldn't be an issue at all

These kind of scenarios annoy me when you don't get lenders/brokers exhausting all possible options before giving you a no AND telling you why you were declined... pure laziness :mad:

Tomodachi likes this.
  16. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Find out why it was rejected.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  17. Tomodachi

Thank you. I'll do those. It's difficult for me because the second broker is blaming the first one.

AJP likes this.
  18. Stegve

Stegve Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if the rejection has anything to do with lower bank valuation of property/properties.

19. Rolf Latham

Possible, but unlikely in my experience

if the vals are low or the are other adverse issues with the val, the lender will normally let the borrower know

ta

rolf

20. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

My 2 cents worth..

1) Sounds like it just doesn't service to me. Private rent has probably been excluded.
    2) Part time income less than rental income? Considered high risk.
    3) Resimac got scared off by the 2 other enquiries.

As an exercise only Id be happy to run servicing on all 3 lenders calcs for you if you send me the other brokers fact find, income docs, summary of all debts etc