Refinance and rate cuts

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Jasper16, 2nd Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jasper16

Jasper16 Active Member

My fixed period for owner occupier property with P&I is about to end and moving into a new lender. I am planning to go ahead with variable rate. My question are:

1. I have found 3.59% variable rate. Does this sound good for this type of loan or should I shop around? I know this depends on other factors but just in general.

2. With the variable rate, if rate cuts come in the near future, will my rates will also by default reduce? Or should this be mentioned in the loan contract? Seems basic question but didn't know. So appreciate any suggestion.

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

1. It’s a good rate - as you’ve mentioned though, rate is only one aspect

2. Rates don’t automatically drop according to RBA drops. It’s up to the lender to pass on rate cuts or not

Jasper16 likes this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Lenders won't contract to pass on RBA rate cuts.

yorkie and Jasper16 like this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

As an aside

An appropriate question could be ..................why is this product with this lender, the right product for me ?

If its mainly rate, there are lower rate products around....................especially on line only non banks.

May I ask what size the loan is and the LVR pls ?

ta
    rolf

5. Jasper16

Jasper16 Active Member

Yes, the one i am looking at is with one of the online ones...400k and 70%LVR.

6. Jasper16

Jasper16 Active Member

How about if the lender drops interest rate in the near future? Will they pass it to me? I thought they would do with a variable interest.

7. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Lenders usually pass on some/all of a rate cut onto borrowers. Typically given the incentives of banks, larger attractive 'front end' (new customer) pricing strategies are made with higher existing customer pricing. Some lenders use bait type rates to attract customers and then raise rates to existing customers over time (one way to do this in this environment is to pass on less of the rate cut to existing borrowers).

Nonetheless, a 3.59% rate is sharp if thats all you're looking for. Its possible some of the potential June rate cut may already be priced into that variable rate (unsure).

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

They won't contract for that either. What has been happening over the last few years is that lenders will offer new customers a lower rate than for existing customers

9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Over time, will u have a lot of money in the redraw, or just plod to pay it off over 20 to 30 years ?

ta
    rolf

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.