House & Home Reducing Waste at Home

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Angel, 28th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

All sorts. The bigger the browner

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Feeling extremely guilty this weekend - we're putting our farm up for sale, to downsize to a resi block with a double garage (with workshop) and half sized house. I'm looking forward to it ... but ... every move we've had I've had a serious declutter inside the house and I'm not a hoarder ... hubby's sheds (yes, plural) are another matter.

For decades I've been trying to get him to sort his "stuff" - instead he simply loads up the boxes and moves them to the next "even bigger" shed - and time has come for a major toss.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is stuff that is essential - every tool known to mankind, drawers of nails/screws, plumbing stuff and lots and lots of bits and bobs - but when you have four packets of 10 x screw-the-toilet-seat-to-the-toilet-bowl - used taps you've been carting around since the 1980's - rowlocks when you haven't owned a dingy for 10 years - and a whole timber fruit box of massive bolts it's getting a bit much.

He's doing okay but I am horrified at the amount of "stuff" we are tossing out - much of it unopened but not worth trying to sell or even give away :(

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm trying out bokashi composting. Some microbial mix is added to food scraps to break them down much more quickly. The resultant mix still needs to be added to compost or buried, but the whole process is substantially speeded up, with much less methane.

Bokashi aside - anybody who's not in a position to produce or use compost, there's a website called sharewaste.com which allows people with scraps to find somebody who produces compost, or somebody with compost to collect food waste.

Lizzie likes this.
  4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I waste nothing apart from non recycle plastics, we have animals and I make soil, zero waste almost.

random and SeafordSunshine like this.
  5. dabbler

You should.

The people who do not do the work or have no knowledge all do the same crap, but are also often th e most demanding and tight when it comes to job costs.

Your old man is saving the world, we now are in a mess cause everything is a throw away item...

But I do believe it should be neat, or in sheds, not a junkyard...

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

:( I know - no need to beat me up about it.

The problem is that when he needs something, he's doesn't fossick through the boxes of "stuff" in his shed - he simply goes out and buys a new new one.

He had drawers and drawers of nails and screws but apparently never the right size - and I really don't need the covers for extractor fans that I don't have the fans for - or the leftovers from installing the dryer vent - or that 3m of removed electrical wire - and I certainly don't need 40 screw-the-seat-to-the-bowl plastic thingies

If he had less "stuff" he could actually find the bits he needed

wylie likes this.
  7. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

after this lot of garbage bags I'll be using you paper tip.

8. geoffw

I don't have any newspapers to line the bottom of the bin. We have two compost waste bins, when one is emptied it's washed out and left out to dried, and swapped with the clean dry one.

Lizzie likes this.
  9. dabbler

Well, yeah, that is no good....

At times I may do the same, but that is cause I have moved a few times and buying some new screws in 15 mins is better than spending half a day looking, when you only get one free day here and there to do stuff...

It is no good collecting stuff all your life in case you need it, when in reality your never doing the work where you will use stuff, or are running out of time in life to be able to do stuff :)

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I will try to remember to utilise Lizzie's plan with taking plastic containers or tupperware to the butchers.

Lizzie likes this.
  11. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Generally it's a bloke thing. Bunnings is our second home.

Would have been useful to rummage through your fella's stuff. May have come across some decking screws we needed yesterday.

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Probably a whole stack of them - not necessarily matching. That's another issue - so many internal doorknobs but none matching - same with hinges - shelf brackets - and "you name it"

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Your hubby and mine are cut from the same cloth Lizzie. But we had a huge clear out (finished renovating houses for good) and now we can get our car in the garage instead of sometimes not fitting it in due to having to store all the stuff we might need one day.

Mind you, I reckon we've saved thousands on timber and other things he would have had to buy, had he not been storing (hoarding?) them at home. So I'm not complaining really.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. geoffw

A stored board hoard?

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Exactly... (and plenty more stuff other than boards). ;)

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yep - occasionally something comes in handy - apparently enough to justify the rest ... but today was a perfect example ... I was going to the hardware shop (for something we didn't have) and he asked me to pick him up a lambswool deck oiling "thingie" with the head insert

Ahem - as I pointed out, we already have two in the shed, right next to the decking oil! :rolleyes:

17. random

random Well-Known Member

Ahh lizzie , hope you don't regret.
    l've lived on small acre's last 15yrs but moved back into suburb. Even though it's the last house on the edge of the town and still has 2000 ac across the road, it's just not the same. l miss that living so much. Now when l go to my brothers he's still on ac ac block , can't even compare , l just wanna get back to that.

18. random

random Well-Known Member

Haaaa, it's full of women to these days .
    One of the things about Bunnings really ****** me off is again packaging overkill. such waste. You buy a pack of screws or 100s of other small things and they're in this thick hard plastic box or wrap. Or a lot of the time "every" nut or bolt has this plastic ring and label hanging of it, l mean do they really need to label and tie up every bloody nut or bolt or thing, in the place, yaknow.Would they do that crazy extreme in other countries?
    Or lot of sealants say, they've started making an extra plastic bit that holds the nozzle on the tube, God it drives me crazy, and it's only one more piece of plastic you have to cut off and throw out first before you can even use the damn thing. l use 100s of them at work .

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hoping not - we're moving to a great community atmosphere, on a 500sqm block with a 100-year old villa (needs a reno) - two blocks from the beach and only a short ferry ride into the CBD

Hubby's a beach bum from waaaaaaay back so he'll be happy - and with a reno required and a bore on the property I hope to turn the block into an gorgeous villa amongst a urban vege garden with a "help yourself" box out the front (so I'll be happy)

20. random

random Well-Known Member

Ahh sounds gorgeous , and near the beach. That's one thing was actually going through my head when l was scribbling that, except for beach areas haha those l do like the suburbs and life. Great atmosphere to huh , lucky you l miss that so much and the property sounds like it's got character too, coolio. The town l moved to now has zero atmosphere people are just nothing there's no vibe no life , not sure what l'm gonna do yet but l really wanna get outa here.
    There's a beach town over on the coast here has some really cheap blocks lived there before too but it's too tiny , couldn't go back to that one couldn't afford one of the bigger livelier beach towns though damn.
    Anyway sounds like your gonna have some fun with that place, good luck.

Lizzie likes this.