Redraw vs Offset vs LOC?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by John5296, 16th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. John5296

John5296 Member

Hi, i am new here and have a question about loan types.

I am trying to wrap my head around these three terms. I have no idea why anyone would want a Redraw facility if an offset offers the same thing with more perks such as at call withdrawals.

Basically, the only difference that Canstar mentions is: "In many ways, redraw and offset facilities are quite similar. The main difference is that the money sitting in an offset account remains at call and easily accessible, whereas the money in a redraw facility, while accessible, isn’t available for same-day, at call withdrawal. There may also be a redraw fee associated with redrawing money from your loan (among the usual other home loan fees)." - What's The Difference Between Offset and Redraw? | Canstar

Some people have both a redraw and an offset. Does anyone know why? An LOC is also quite similar.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

All products have the same challenge - used the wrong way, they may bite.

The issue with generalist information on the internet, is that while often the factual data may be accurate, how the use of such products translates to a particular scenario are quite different.

Yes, there are generalist rules of thumb, like with a redraw and LOC, your money becomes the banks money.......

Dont mix borrowed and tax paid savings in the one account, that applies to all 3 loan types you describe.

ta
    rolf

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I have started a separate response.............. because its very very relevant, especially given the type sources you have quoted.

Many of these comp sites, dont actually tell one what the issues are or could be, obectively, neither will some of the 5 star or Gold medal rated lenders by these comp sites that have a thing called redraw offset.

In most cases, the tax side of things is covered, since these are usually a separate account, and some lenders do actually have PBRs.

What they dont tell you without you digging deep is that the NON bank offsets, have neither the 250 k gov guarantee that ADIs do, nor unfettered access to your funds

Non bank offsets, are actually redraw accounts

U bank is a really good example

Here are the T&Cs.

https://www.ubank.com.au/terms-and-conditions

Read and understand what section 7 might mean for a borrower.

In general , I dont have an issue with these types of lenders or even the products ONCE the borrower can actually make a decision on the actual data, not some marketing fluff.

Here is my generalist view

Best interest rates in the market atm!

ta
    rolf

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There are important differences between these features/products when tax is considered.

5. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

For a new investor like me, I learnt this the hard way. This is my view (others can correct me).

PPOR- good to have both redraw facility and offset account. If you need to quickly buy an investment property and don’t have the time to set up a separate loan for your deposit and borrowing costs, you should use ‘redraw’ facility as the amount your redraw can be later refinanced in a separate loan and can be 100% tax deductible (the painful part is working out your deductible interest prior to setting up the new loan. You have to use one of the complex blended loans spreadsheets- took me hours!) If you use your offset, then you are using ‘cash’ and this will NOT be tax deductible. Essentially you have increased your PPOR non deductible debt. Use offset account to put in extra repayments . This will mean your are not paying down your loan, so you can switch this to an IP later (if your circumstances change). Your debt will not be paid down too much and can therefore enjoy the tax benefits. You can then move the offset funds into your future PPOR.

For IPs, disable the redraw facility and purely use an offset account. If you redraw out of your IP loan (even accidentally) unless it’s strictly for investment purposes, you will have a mixed loan. Again, a painful spreadsheet to deal with. Here the offset account works brilliantly as you can transfer in and out what you like. Also, if you change your mind and want to move into the IP, any extra deposits will not pay down the loan (same as above situation)

LOC- have used this before and it is very flexible, but very high interest rates. Essentially a credit card. The advantage is that it’s quick to establish so again, if you need to make some quick purchases, it’s handy and 100% tax deductible if using for investing purposes. Good thing is that you can convert the LOC into a home loan later for better rates.

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Almost all variable loans have redraw facilities. An offset account is really just a savings account.

To put it in the most simple terms, here's how most people could use them:

Offset is for savings
    Redraw is for equity releases
    LOC is something that is rarely worth the expense and most benefits it bestows can be implemented by the previous two features.

Shazz@ likes this.
  7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

An LOC is not necessarily more expensive, you may have a dud broker if it is. My cheapest loan is a LOC @ 4.37 %, it was cheaper at the time and it is even much more cheaper now. It has advantages my other loans don't have. It doesn't have the banks own increased interest rates because of the way the contract allows rates to be calculated. Reducing the loan limit below certain thresholds reduces the interest rate, increasing the loan limit past certain thresholds increases the interest rate.

8. John5296

John5296 Member

Thank you all for your input on this post. Sorry for the late reply.

Would you use a bridging loan for this if you plan on selling the PPOR? It's when you require finance to purchase a second property with the intention of selling the existing one.

Thank you for your explanation of the other terms as well!

If i understand this correctly, the redraw is predominantly best for tax savings rather than financing a new asset/home with the offset capital. Both tools are very similar with the main reason being tax benefits?

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

if you had an offset on an existing loan used for a current main residence and were going to buy a new main residence you would generally want to minimise the new loan as the itnerest would not be deductible and to maximise the interest on the old loan which may then become deductible.
    Best way to do this would be to directly use the cash from the offset account.

Shazz@ likes this.
  10. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I am not a broker so best to speak to one. Never used a bridging loan before. Is the second property you intend to purchase going to be your new PPOR?

If so, as Terry has mentioned, may be better to use the funds from your offset. When you sell the existing PPOR, you can transfer the funds from the sale into an offset account attached to the new PPOR.

11. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Which bank? What’s your total lending amount with this lender?