Redoing old insulation - worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Calder&Scale, 14th Jan, 2023.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Calder&Scale

Calder&Scale Well-Known Member

We own a 1970-1980s build and will be doing some light renovations.

Is it worthwhile to consider redoing the insulation/ or at least some of it?

We are adding downlights, which would mean (I assume) that holes would need to be cut in the insulation - so why not replace it beforehand?

We are also redoing the flooring (vinyl plank), would this allow us to insulate the floor also? From my research it seems floor insulation is usually done from below, however the crawl space under the house is incredibly small, I'm not sure it's possible to have this done.

For reference we have gas ducted heating which costs a decent amount to run.

2. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

What type of insulation do you have? Wool is the best. Others are pretty crappy and stop working over time.

3. Calder&Scale

I'm not sure of the material, it's some sort of mat/ baton

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Get the ‘zero clearance’ down lights and/or use hoods to reduce the lost insulation (and heat loss). Don’t replace it unnecessarily it’s a waste of resources. Batts should still be perfectly fine - just add another layer.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You’re wrong. Fiberglass, rock wool and polyester batts certainly keep working if installed properly.

And they definitely aren’t ‘pretty crappy’.

sanj likes this.
  6. Gimm

Gimm Well-Known Member

How do they 'stop working'?

7. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Sorry I could be wrong, just going off my own experiences. Maybe I keep buying properties with this insulation from the mid 90’s. I’ve seen my neighbours getting it sucked out and replaced, My cousin owned an insulation company for a while, he recommended the wool type as the best, so just going off that.

Attached Files:

8. Gimm

Gimm Well-Known Member

Ahh that stuff is bloody annoying. Have it in my PPOR and I always seem to bring a bunch back down the manhole with me every time I work up in the roof space :confused:

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Do you have a timber floor or concrete?

If you were using some sort of hybrid vinyl plank which has more structure to it then you might be able to lay some thin underlay but if it's loose lay vinyl planks then it's just usually nothing. If it's on a wooden floor base which has some gaps which leak in/out air then putting new flooring over it can help seal those gaps.

10. Calder&Scale

I've had another look under the house (on stumps) and it seems like we should be fine to attach it to the subfloor as normal, so that'll probably be the route we take - assuming it's cost effective.

11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member