QLD redland bay = good investment area or not???

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Peta Notari, 18th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peta Notari

Peta Notari Well-Known Member

Hi all

What is redland bay like as an investment area?

I cant see any train lines but it looks like you can get nice, younger brick n tile homes for high 400s - mid 500s on decent sized blocks...but is it a good place to invest? Is anyone looking at that area currently?

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Looked at it.

Rail line is up, but completion is not till next year.

Seems it is like gosford/central coast, people like to visit for the day, then go home, some are hoping the rail will change everything.......otherwise you can only look at past performance.

3. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

too far

4. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Dabbler there's no train line being constructed to Redland Bay... Maybe you are thinking of Redcliffe?

As others have said its a fair way out, beautiful area though. I would be looking closer to the Cleveland area where the train line ends if you are keen on the Redlands.

MJS1034 likes this.
  5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, whoops, my bad.......yes, I was talking about Redcliffe and it's new line, as you say Cleveland is the end of the line from memory heading down.

I have not looked past the Cleveland area, so can't add anything.

6. pugstar205

pugstar205 Well-Known Member

I think API mag 'hot spotted' Redcliffe and surrounds (Clontarf, Woody Point, Margate, Kippa Ring) about a year ago.
    It's gone up a fair bit in the past 12-18 months but there's still buying in the $350k - $500k bracket.
    On the down side - lots of older stock on relatively small blocks (no development potential); lots of social housing; low rental yields; and long way to Brisbane city (if proximity to a CBD is part of your investment criteria).
    There's a few people on PC who have done well out of the Redcliffe Penninsular and know it well - I'm sure they'll chime in.
    In a nutshell - worth a look but buy carefully (ideally east of Oxley). The Pennisular is far from a well kept secret. I personally don't think the train line will do all that much for the area.

7. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Redland bay is lovely. But it is a long way out with no train and there isn't much in the way of employment. Still, worth a look for the right price.

8. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It's a big area. Places with decent water views, or views back to the mainland from one of the islands.
    Driving to Cleveland station is doable. So is driving to the freeway.
    Depends where people work. Not everyone works in the City.
    Note: I'm biased and did buy out that way.

10. Peta Notari

OMG....that is a bargain but what were the cons on that purchase....assuming there was something consudering tge price. Is that the one your parents bought? Land clearing would not be cheap lol

11. Peta Notari

Hi azazel - can i ask....

1) what product you bought there and when?
    2) how has it performed?
    3) was the rental market fighting for your investments.
    4) how is the CG there? i have been focussing on within 10kms of CBD for CG and blue chip but have seen a few nice large brick houses out that way which i also like.

TIA

12. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

I looked at Redland bay and Victoria Point for properties in 2014, I decided on one in Victoria point as its got more in the way of shops and schools nearby and rental yields seemed a little higher.
    5.5% yield from day one. Just increased it recently also, so rental demand is quite solid.

13. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Cons were that present planning only allowed for one house on the 3 acres. I think you could clear 6000m2. But considering you pay 260k for a 400m2 block of land out there for one house... 200k for a block with a massive amount of space is crazy good.

Clearing the site wouldnt have been hard.

But no my parents just missed out on that one.

14. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

I had quotes of 50k to clear 800sqm of trees on land in western Sydney... I can't imagine that there being well over 100k.. I can't imagine the price for 3 acres... Not really a bargain IMO..

15. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

We would have done it ourselves easy enough. Chainsaws aren't hard to use, and then you'd just drag all the trees into a big pile somewhere.

Or make a log cabin :p

16. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

I very much doubt you would be able to clear much at all. Council zoning maps don't work on my iPad but many parts of that area are zoned as bushland habitat, you're not supposed to even pick up a dead stick of the ground without council getting involved. The council issues massive fines for unapproved tree removal, and apparently they do an annual audit of those areas on near maps.

Ironic next to a new estate hey...

Last edited: 21st Oct, 2015
  17. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

I must've been half asleep at 8:53am when I wrote that comment. My English wasn't working haha I can't understand my sentence but yeah it will cost a crapload to clear that.

18. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

My folk's idea was to create a caravan park there, council was keen on the idea because they want more tourism in the area.

The newspaper ad said something like 4000m2 could be cleared, but the realestate.com.au ad said 2000m2. So no idea.

But anyway no point thinking too hard on it as it's already sold.

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I actually bought a 'cheapie' out on Russell/Canaipa Island. Not that long ago, so too early to judge.
    Standard QLDer.
    Good CF+, but more like a regional at the moment. Low vacancy rates.
    Watched the market over there since about '06, think it has just bounced off the bottom.
    If/when BNE takes off it should do well from the ripple effect, but it's a long term investment regardless.