Record Keeping (CGT / Estate) - Shares / LICs / ETFs ...

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Nodrog, 5th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

He he yes. These thoughts entered my head earlier.

Deleted files can be restored from Google Drive Trash for up to 30 days. And if you empty Trash there are apps to recover permanently deleted files. There’s a change (activity) history and a limited recovery facility which can be used to restore the last (earlier?) saved version from what I understand.

But I’ve already taken a manual backup of the PC Google Drive files (so obviously not impacted by sync) onto an external hard drive which will be done regularly just in case:). I’ll look at further safeguards to prevent loss of data when my head is not so sore but hopefully I’ve reduced the risk somewhat.

PS: Just saw this but at a file level so some work involved:

Last edited: 13th Dec, 2017
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Can be....
    If its active and you are aware within 30 days.
    Murphys law says I would become aware at 32 days.

When storage costs $100 a TB its cheap to keep stuff. The more you delete the more likely you suddenly saying .... oh crap.....

Interesting re Google Drive. That also raises issue of software. Google drive works well with Google docs too. As does Microsoft and OneDrive / Dropbox. I love how I can open app on phone/tablet/PC / work and all is syncd.

Nodrog likes this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I really appreciate the tips and discussion on the nuances. So my thanks.

While I'm not enamored with technology I will use it as it suits me. Bring back button-up boots, quills and the abacus! The more mature technology.

And I rather like what Google Drive does. Downloaded the NAB dividend statement into the relevant folder and Google Drive updated as well. Good. Plus viewing it on my phone is sort of neat although slightly creepy.

Nodrog likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Never leave home without it. I find myself in bizarre places and call up docs / files/ images / photos etc . I was in USA last year and called up a reservation confirmation....Showed it to Homeland Security who insisted on proof of intentions. No problems called up bookings etc. He told me if I lost my passport & I have a copy there (which I do) it could save my bacon. ...Its not perfect but as Homeland security dude said - Could be the difference between staying or catching a flight home if a passport is lost. Told me they will grant access to then attend consulate to replace it. They speak to consulate and grant some special visa / entry. Takes a few hours. You go back to airport with new passport and they stamp it. Problem solved. Says 4hrs turnaround in LA and New York etc. Without passport copy you go home.

Never possible once. On my phone they dont sync but I can choose download, same on tablet. But on a PC I can sync.

All you need is wifi. Its everywhere.

Nodrog and Kassy like this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Thank you @Paul@PFI for mentioning Google docs. Just downloaded Google Sheets App for the IPad.

A Dividend advice email (WHF) arrived a few days ago. On the iPad so saved the Dividend PDF statement to SMSF / 2018 tax folder on Google Drive. Updated Xcel spreadsheet in same folder with dividend details using Google Sheets. All synced back to PC copy of files. Come tax time everything’s there in electronic format ready to email to accountant.

All done whilst lying flat on my back in bed:). Adds a whole new meaning to working “flat out”:D. I love retirement:cool:.

Last edited: 13th Dec, 2017
    Redwing, SatayKing and Kassy like this.
  6. SatayKing

Lazy so-and-so he he.

I've just attempted the Share Folder for the Trust with the other Director. Will it work? No idea but worth giving it a whirl.

7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

A bad habit of mine, too impatient to read the instructions:oops:. I made a big stuff up initially trying to use Google Drive back up and sync because I confused what are essentially two Separate tasks:
    I found this article helpful in sorting out the confusion:

How to Sync Your Desktop PC with Google Drive (and Google Photos)

8. SatayKing

Yep, almost did the same. Luckily I didn't pull the trigger then as I didn't fully understand it - still don't really - and read more before I decided on selecting specific parent folders.

You realise of course we have now let on about secret women's business? Want to hide something from hubby, boyfriend or special other of the male gender? Just place it in the instruction manual. We blokes never open the things. A much more difficult task now most stuff is on-line. Sorry ladies.

9. SatayKing

It worked.

Nodrog likes this.
  10. SatayKing

Hey @Nodrog , just had a wicked thought. Instead of emailing is it possible to give your accountant View Only access to the relevant folders?

Nodrog likes this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Well @Paul@PFI will be the final authority in answering this. He’s as good an accountant as you can get from what I hear.

12. Paul@PAS

We stopped allowing it. We no longer accept client information that way. Its exposes us to risks you could have a malicious file. We had a prospective client appear to deliberately send a tainted file. Our IT is hosted in a facility used by some major law agencies and their controls are robust. They locked the file/s down and suggested we cease accepting such links as we cant check content. And neither do Google / Apple / Microsoft / Dropbox !! Its a weakness in cloud systems that it assumes the sender and receiver are all honest and each have security over malicious files. Ransomware is our greatest threat using cloud storage nominated by clients.

There are other risks like client personal data and info. We cant and wont compromise this.

We offer clients a free secure facility which has VERY robust tools that vet all files. It firewalls from our filing system if a problem is detected and will firewall it from me too and our IT system only releases it if it meet tests. It tracks history. And we can send PDF files to the client allowing them to click a button to sign returns. No complex digi sign or things like it. Highly automated. It has some stringent controls on identity too which I dont discuss. Identity cant be switched without me agreeing. It locks BOTH users out if they try...Yes some have tried to sign their partners tax that way and it doesnt work that way for a reason - It must meet stringent Commonwealth Gov rules. It even allows encrypted two way messaging attached to the file/s.

Last edited: 14th Dec, 2017
    SatayKing and Nodrog like this.
  13. SatayKing

Makes total sense to me.

Yesterday I looked at my "office" which is basically a small nook with a file cabinet and was pleased at the absence of paper. The shredder worked overtime disposing of the detritus but still have much of that to do - recycle bins are able to contain only so much. Now I think I will be able to increase my available space by getting rid of the file cabinet.

14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Well very happy with Google Drive setup. Can’t believe I never did this much sooner. Thanks @SatayKing for originally mentioning you were going paperless as this was the motivation to get started.

Now all I want to do is get a free backup program which I can schedule say once a week to copy the “PC” Google Drive folder (date and time stamped) to the external hard drive. Just in case something gets messed up in Google Drive I can go back to a version prior to the event.

I had been using Karen’s Replicator but it has some issues with Windows 10.

So can someone please recommend free automated file copy software to do this? No encryption, compression, restore and sync etc required. Just a simple auto scheduled file copy utility.

I’ve searched and found a number of them but thought someone here might be able to suggest a simple worthwhile one.

Thank you.

15. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

can't you just sync that specific folder into google drive? then there is no need to remember to back up as it will be continuously done

16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

But I wanted previous versions of Google Drive files on the external hard drive. If I do a major stuff up in Google Drive it will also immediately sync the external hard drive which is what I don’t want. The versions on the external hard drive are there in case I need to recover an earlier version.

Plus I won’t need to remember to backup as it will be auto scheduled. I’ve been doing this for many years with Replicator but it has problems with Windows 10. The author of the software is now deceased.

Last edited: 16th Dec, 2017
    Terry_w likes this.
  17. SatayKing

Decided to go paperless because I was completely sick of the mess and the likelihood documents would go missing. If it gave you the incentive to go down that path then all to the good.

Not pushing this, it's only something I use and there are probably better products.

My external hard disk is Seagate and it comes with it's own backup programme which can be scheduled to be continuous, hourly, weekly, etc along with the function to select specific folders/files.

Something along those lines cold be suitable @Nodrog. I think a 1TB costs less than $100 which is really chicken s&%t territory.

18. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I just paid $124 for 1TB with google drive.- 1 year

Nodrog likes this.
  19. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Ok until I find something better I’ve setup Microsoft 10 “File History” program to backup our PC Google Drive folder, which doesn’t require much space, to the external hard drive. External drive is 2 Tb. The maximum schedule available is “daily” which is more frequent than required and I’ve set the other option to “until space needed” so when that happens the oldest versions will be removed as space is required.

More here:
    How To Set Automatic Backups With Windows 10's Built-in Tools

20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

@SatayKing so have you permanenty added Google Drive as part of your backup process or decided to remain with external drives only?