Recommended Granny Flat builder/package in Sydney?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by David Shih, 20th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Hi all,

My parent is looking to build a granny flat at back of the PPOR located in Sydney North Shore. We've seen quite a number of granny flat package ads from local Chinese newspapers with price ranging from $75K to $120K but is unsure which one to go for.

Has any fellow PCers done Granny Flats before in Sydney and has any recommendations on builder/package?

Cheers,
    David

AlbertWT likes this.
  2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I used grannyflat engineers in Rookwood and we're happy.

3. neil-asher

neil-asher Member

Hi David

PM me and I'll pass on the people we used :)

4. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Serge from grannyflatapprovals.com.au used to quite recommended on somersoft. Check out the website and give him a call

Phantom likes this.
  5. David Shih

Thanks guys - I'll check them out :)

6. jsoe000

jsoe000 Well-Known Member

I've used Serge in my last granny flat. for 2 bed, 1 bath 60sqm granny flat, the package is around $100k depending on the type of fitouts / add-ons you choose. I'm happy with the result.
    You can have a look at his showroom granny flat in Panania if you want to see the quality of work he does. Plus his website has lots of projects photos with prices. http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/

AlbertWT, Peter P and David Shih like this.
  7. kennyboi

kennyboi Well-Known Member

When I visit grannyflat engineers (or modular one) and ask them hard questions, they think I was getting info to build it myself and try to kick me out. Would not recommend them.

I currently use granny flat builders at Concord West. Their construction team seems to know what they are doing, but their admin team is not the best to deal with.

Last edited: 8th Oct, 2015
  8. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Good luck. I had no issues with them at all.

9. Kai41314

Kai41314 Well-Known Member

Their website is great. I hope there is a GF builder in Logan like this.

10. David Shih

Hi all,

We've got a number of quotes now which is great. Thanks to you all who contributed.

I do have one more question in relation to stormwater management. In the proposal it states under that section "subject to stormwater engineer. Geotech could be required." does anyone know what exactly is Geotech?

And is stormwater engineering certification absolutely required?

Cheers,
    David

11. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Geotech is just another term for a stormwater or hydraulic engineer.
    I think in any GF quote/proposal, the builder would want to cover their back incase private cert/council questions further or any concern arise..
    A GF build normally does not call for strict stormwater design, normally a tank or dispersion pit would be adequate in most GF build...

12. David Shih

Thanks RR, that makes sense!
    The funny thing though is our block is not the lowest point, it continues to slope away to the neighbour behind us so clearly stormwater would just flow from our backyard to their block.
    Therefore I think as you said it's just there to cover themselves in case required.

Cheers,
    David

13. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

You can't dispose of your stormwater on your neighbours land...has to be retained on your site or fed to the system. Hence you need a rubble pit (2k) a stormwater easement at the back (free) or put a charge on the line and pump it up to the house/street (1k)

Peter P and David Shih like this.
  14. Brazen

Brazen Member

I'm sorry Rich but you're wrong on all counts here.

1. A Geotech Report tells the builder what's under the ground, so if he finds a substrate he doesn't like, he can (and certainly will) charge you significantly more as a variation. This is why my builders wear this cost and take the good with the bad.

2. Stormwater Engineering can significantly affect the final price, especially if the land slopes (falls) to the rear. In fact, the proposal could be rejected by Council/Certifier and you'll simply lose your deposit once the approval is sought.

- So many cases of deposits taken and no work done because the deposit is 'blown' on a failed Application for Approval.

- So many cases of contracts signed and $20,000+ added by the builder (as a variation) for stormwater and/or other ground conditions.

Be careful when builders place these conditions in their quotes and contracts. It's a (completely legal) license to charge you (a LOT) more.

I think it best to be honest eh? With my building system we check the abovementioned BEFORE you spend a single dollar. This gives you a real quote.

To the OP, my website has a lot of good, free info if you're interested.

Brazen.

Archaon, Gingin, Peter P and 3 others like this.
  15. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

16. Brazen

Brazen Member

Thanks but pre-fabricated homes cannot be approved as Granny Flats under the NSW SEPP State Legislation. This has been mandated by NSW Planning.

You'd need to apply under a Section-68 as a DA and many Sydney Council's wont allow this unfortunately.

Brazen.

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Nov, 2016
    Peter P and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  17. Ms Reno

Ms Reno Member

I did one using NSW SEPP as owner builder and it was very hard, very complex and now I learnt so much which I will never use again (storm water, BCA, basix, SEPP Legislation). We used bestsheds.com.au and fitted it out ourselves using own design and trades. I know you can only do 1 x as OB but I would never do it again as OB despite the $$ savings it took so long. Thanks to @Brazen for all you free advice here and on SS forums the past 12-18 months about this whole experience.

For my next (IF...) I would thank Brazen/Serge and use his GFApprovals site - his website is fantastic for info and legislation.

Peter P likes this.
  18. MikeeIv

MikeeIv Member

My uncle and aunt built one in Sydney earlier this year and that kind of price range sounds about right. I would recommend though that you check out the legal side of things before signing anything as not all sites can get council permission.

This is the backlash from the few who built things they called granny flats that weren’t safe. Backyard blitz on unsafe granny flats has the details. Because of that I think it is worth checking first. You can read more about that here: Council Approval for Granny Flats in Sydney - Granny Flat Finder

19. Jasonakkar

Jasonakkar New Member

Whatever you do dont choose Rescon Builders they are terrible

20. andrew_t

andrew_t Well-Known Member

@LeMU we had one built through Granny Flat Solutions on the upper north shore and the quality is awesome. Their communication lacked and had issues but we got there in the end, they had just taken on too much work.

Also this was for family to live in and not a rental so went for the more high end items and fittings

We had to work with

Demolishing existing garage
    Sloping block
    Encasing sewer
    Built on peirs with suspended steel frame

Feel free to PM if you want more info

Some pics here, I'll have to update with the finished product

Granny Flat Build

David Shih and Glorion like this.